993 Exhaust System Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hank,

I have supercups, you wanna hear more about them?

I have no experience but I've seen that Billy Boat sells headers (with or without heat exchangers) and also FVD-USA has similar.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys:

Thanks for all the input. I am, however, NOT INTERESTED in mufflers as I believe I already have the ultimate muffler, Robin's RSR.

Earlier in this thread, I indicated that I just took my Fabspeed Supercup mufflers off, so I am well versed in how they sound. Additionally, I indicated what the goals were, like retention of stock heater functions, acceptable sound levels, etc (see first post please). S-Car-Go does not offer a system that conforms to my stated goals (read - no stock heat). While B&B does offer headers with stock heat, I have used B&B in the past and while they do warrant their work and replace defective components, I would rather bolt something on and know that it will last as long as OEM parts last.

I was hoping that someone has used the Cargraphic sport cat system or the system offered by FVD or some other supplier of which I am not aware. I spoke with S-Car-Go moments ago and they can install high-flow 100 cell cats in our stock catalytic converters. This seems to be one of the best options I have seen so far.

Thanks again for the input and I look for more.

Hank
Old 05-16-2003, 03:52 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hank,

Give Mike Schatz a call. He sells FVD, but has always given me a straight answer as to whether the stuff works or not - or whether he does not really know.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mark:

Thanks. I will search for his number unless you have it handy.

Hank

EDIT - Just called. Waiting call back. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts
Tom, I'd love to hear both
Old 05-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hank,

Check with Fordahl Motorsports (425 644-6020) I think they recently put a complete exhaust system on a Yellow 1995 Coupe. The car is mainly used for racing, but it also sounded pretty good for street use. Greg Fordahl is good on performance gains and does a lot of testing to prove things out. He should be able to tell you if that system would meet all your requirements.

Jack
1996 C4S
Old 05-16-2003, 07:32 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Hank:

Wanna hear about my MUFFLERS?

I thought not...

I, too, am scrounging around for an exhaust system for the RS. I am going to try some weird-looking Jerry Woods headers in a few days. You can hang mufflers on them easily. The factory RSR-design won't work because the short-tube headers shoot straight out the back. I have e-mailed a guy who put S-CAR-GO long-tube headers on a race-prepped car and he got (are you ready?...) maybe 5 h.p. on the dyno. He swears the pipes did flatten out the torque curve a bit and "felt better on the butt dyno." That's a lot of money for 5 h.p.

Cargraphic's headers (N-GT) are also nicely made and similarly pricey, and I do not believe the 10-15 h.p. claim made for them. My impression is that FVD stuff is Cargraphic stuff. It looks identical

So where does that leave us? Some people swear by Holcombe race headers. I may have a chance to try those in a few weeks, too.

Meantime, I am running this system: Cargraphic cat bypass pipes into Faboolious Supercups. I just make 103 dB noise at my local track. They are loud and kinda metallic-sounding for the street, though. I keep the baffles in, BTW, for backpressure.

Anyone have more data to share here?

Lee in D.C.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts
I'm running B&B headers(1 3/4" x ~30") thru Fabiani(Flowmaster) mufflers on my 993RS spec engine. Its going on the dyno next week for a custom chip. We'll see what it's worth.

One problem is that the wide lobe separation, aggressive ramps and relatively low duration cams used(even w/ RS or SS cams)give tuned headers very little to work with in terms of overlap. W/o overlap the headers have nothing to work with.

The other problem for some of us will be emissions inspections which will necessitate cats that take up precious pipe real estate.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hank, I too, have heard good things about the Cargraphic products. I would think Gemballa or Ruf would be ones to look into as well...
Old 05-17-2003, 12:52 AM
DrZ
Racer

Hank, I had a complete B&B exhaust system when I bought my Cab. I sold the mufflers because it was just too loud considering there was also a motorsound airbox and no engine pan. I did keep the headers now paired with stock mufflers.

Anyhow, I was under the impression that the B&B headers were of very high quality and better than stock with some modest performance advantage. Mufflers are perhaps another story. Not so? Is there some specific problem in design or fabrication that you are aware of?

Quick Reply: 993 Exhaust System Recommendations