993 Forum 1995-1998

993 targas - are they very 'rattly'

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:43 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993 targas - are they very 'rattly'

Well, I'm on the hunt for a 993. Like the look of the glass roof targa. BUT, my friend has a 2003 996 targa and the squeaks & rattles of the glass roof are, frankly, unacceptable. Any 993 targa owners out there with opinions on the roof system?

On another note, are the targas based on the cab chassis? If so, is there much of a scuttle at all noticable - or as I expect with a Porsche, are they stiff as they need to be.

Well, while I wait for responses I'm off to search for a silver 993!!

Old 10-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

OOoh!!! Good choice in color and model!!

I can tell you they rattle and squeak, but there is a technical bulletin available which describes how to fix this. It's a simple DIY. I don't notice mine so much, as it's always open. Always.

The Targa is based on the cab chassis, yes.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:58 PM
johnfm
Drifting

You have yours open because your in TEXAS!!! In the Uk it will be open for 3 weeks!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:23 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
I download the bulletin as well just in case I needed it. But thus far, after 77K miles, there is no significant rattling or squeaking. I just put in H&R Springs and Bilstein HD's and once in a while when I hit a pothole, there will be some noise but nothing major. I too was very skeptical but it is well designed. I suggest you test drive it in all conditions since the reviews seems to be a bit mixed here.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:34 PM
sleddog
Instructor

There are a few rattles but not to the point that I find unacceptable. Usually they occur when the top is closed but the shade is retracted. I do drive with it open quite often so it really is a non issue for me. I had a cab prior to this and find the Targa more convenient.

Good luck with your purchase decision. If you like white, there is a nice looking one at www.europeanlocators.com
Old 10-20-2004, 07:34 PM
sleddog
Instructor

Oops, nevermind, just saw you were in the uk
Old 10-20-2004, 07:49 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Top open, engine screaming, rattles are the last thing you hear. Buy it!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"In the Uk it will be open for 3 weeks"

then why get it in the first place?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:44 AM
Stu
Instructor

That's the beauty of the Targa - the roof doesn't have to be open to be enjoyed! The light the glass top lets in - even on cloudy days - is wonderful, compared to the couped up feeling of a, well, coupe!

Go for it - love mine, minor squeaks and all!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:47 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Funny you mention squeaks and rattles. They seem to have gone away once I installed the Supercharger. Even with PSS9's; I still don't notice any increase in squeaks and rattles. Having the glass top is an awesome option to the 993. The 996 glass top is completely different than the 993. You just need to test drive and compare for yourself.

Dale
Old 10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
johnfm
Drifting

how is the supercharge/tiptronic combo?? I expect the torque is awesonme How's driveability, reliabilty etc? Did you install extra oil cooler?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:48 PM
dale_loch
Instructor

Driveability (if this is even a word?) is awesome. The Tiptronic was a dog without the supercharger. The low end power is instantly transformed. The only thing that really sucks is that I only have 4 gears to choose from as opposed to 6. I never miss a shift anymore! I have the oil cooler override mod and don't have any issues with excessive heat. Running the blower doesn't really create that much added heat in terms of the oil. The blower makes the engine work less if anything! This is the second TPC kit that I have had in a 993, and the reliability is nothing short of fabulous. TPC has really done their homework on the durability issue. I am considering the upgraded/ additional oil cooler once I step up to the intercooler. I don't see a need for it right now.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:42 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Dale

good to hear the blower does the job! Re: oil temps, just be aware that any mod that makes more power MUST make more heat. Its inescapable. So, while the cooling system can cope with the extra 80 to 100 HP, the oil cooling is having to deal with more heat. An auxillary oil cooler is cheap relative to the benefit.

Quick Reply: 993 targas - are they very 'rattly'