Slightly OT, but close to any daily driver's heart

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Slightly OT, but close to any daily driver's heart

My 911s, all air cooled, have always been magnets for stone chips. The low slung front end and protruding wheel arches seem to attract every rock on the road. My current 993 has had the front end painted about 5 times in 9 years. Since I added even larger protrusions, the chips have got worse -this is after less than 5K miles

I was discussing getting my rash repainted with the bodyshop I currently use who are Merc approved. The owner was telling me about the system that Mercedes is now using which was adopted because of the poor chip resistance of the new ECO friendly water based paints. It is called Diamond and was developed by Spies Hecker and is a laquer which is ultra tough and resists scratches and rock chips. My man says he is expecting to be able to offer it within 6 months or so, so I should hold off any paintwork 'til then. He says it will be expensive (surprise surprise ) There is a link I found below which covers it. Are there any paint experts out there who can comment. Will it be strong enough to prevent stone chips ?
Thanks
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?NewsID=141&id=611
Old 10-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant speak to that product but due to many DE's my wheel wells looked the same way. I corrected the problem (from 10 ft anyway) in about 2 hours with color matched (arctic silver) paint in spray paint cans from paintscratch.com.

Certainly good enought to hide the damage you show above - and the blend line around the wheel weel is easy to utilize so that you really have to get close and personal to tell the touchup from the original paint.

I'll just do this once a year or so until I'm ready for a total respray.

Ben
Old 10-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed Armourfend -- one of the 3M films -- in all of those areas behind the wheels. It works great.

Quick Reply: Slightly OT, but close to any daily driver's heart