Sponsored by:

PCA Panorama "Slam Dunk" on 993 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:39 PM
jbuchsba
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adsc4s
Disagree vehemently with this statement.

Not over the 993, but over the 996 stock (not wide body). Just my opinion. I like my 993 more.

Saw my first 997 in person on the dealer's lot...base with chrono....rotors quite rusty...not bad, but it was $76,000+.

JB
Old 10-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Kim and Dr. No,

FWIW, my 993 is at my local Porsche dealer right now getting the SAI CEL problem fixed under warranty. My car has 80k+ miles and I bought it last year as a Porsche-certified used car. I haven't heard of them covering this before, but my dealer says it will be covered. They are sending the heads to a shop in AZ for the repair.

Interestingly, the Porsche-certified literature specifically lists the emissions control systems as an exclusion to the warranty. Of course, I think many of us would agree that it is not an emissions control problem per se, but rather an engine problem that shows up in the emissions control system.

Paul
Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
hawk993
Racer

Hey Adrienne...re " JD and his associates must not own one then! ", I asked a Porsche Master Mechanic about my 993 and the 993 in general BEFORE I bought it and he said they were excellent cars, almost bullet proof and I could get 300,000+ miles out of the car. This is from someone who works on all Porsches every day and knows what he's talking about.

If you don't like your 993 get rid of it and buy a mustang or a Yugo or something...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk993
Hey Adrienne...re " JD and his associates must not own one then! ", I asked a Porsche Master Mechanic about my 993 and the 993 in general BEFORE I bought it and he said they were excellent cars, almost bullet proof and I could get 300,000+ miles out of the car. This is from someone who works on all Porsches every day and knows what he's talking about.

If you don't like your 993 get rid of it and buy a mustang or a Yugo or something...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my car! But sometimes it's a love-hate sort of relationship. I suppose I need to start attending Porsche Anonymous meetings and admitting to my co-dependent relationship.

I've also heard the bullet-proof nature of the 993. I have also heard and experienced otherwise. It's a great car, but it's certainly not flawless. I'll be all the happier once I fix the valve guide flaw.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:04 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 353 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my car! But sometimes it's a love-hate sort of relationship. I suppose I need to start attending Porsche Anonymous meetings and admitting to my co-dependent relationship.
I've also heard the bullet-proof nature of the 993. I have also heard and experienced otherwise. It's a great car, but it's certainly not flawless. I'll be all the happier once I fix the valve guide flaw.
Classy answer Adrienne. I'm proud of you. Some of the fella's around here may not know that you grew up surrounded by Porsche's....

Speaking of valves etc.... I've sprung a leak in my 993. Appears to be the valve gasket. I HOPE it's just the valve gasket. No matter, just like you, I still love my car even if it's not bulletproof / flawless.

JoAnne

BTW: for those of you interested in some of Joel's Porsche racing background (I'm in there too...) go to:
www.digitaldeli.net/rc/
Old 10-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul E. Dodd
Kim and Dr. No,

FWIW, my 993 is at my local Porsche dealer right now getting the SAI CEL problem fixed under warranty. My car has 80k+ miles and I bought it last year as a Porsche-certified used car. I haven't heard of them covering this before, but my dealer says it will be covered. They are sending the heads to a shop in AZ for the repair.

Interestingly, the Porsche-certified literature specifically lists the emissions control systems as an exclusion to the warranty. Of course, I think many of us would agree that it is not an emissions control problem per se, but rather an engine problem that shows up in the emissions control system.

Paul
I suppose you could argue that it is both an emissions problem (i.e., it won't pass emissions) and an engine problem and might be covered under whichever warranty is live. Good to know that they are dealing with it under the CPO warranty, however.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Interesting reading about your commitment to racing and P-Cars JoAnne. Some of us who live so far away don't know the who is who in your part of the world.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's two of Joel's race cars by the way. They are both 993s!!!

I have benefited tremendously from Joel's unselfish dedicated support to the P car enthusiasts. I have collected a lot of his write ups and frequently refers back to them. I have nothing but respect for him.

I don't think he's bashing on the 993. I have followed a lot of his responses to the "clogged secondary air passages" Q&A in the PCA board and I think that he's just saying that the source are those worn out valve guides. Oil leaks by them and when heated up causes it to form a film which blocks those passages hence the CEL OBDII code P0410. Joel is maybe suggesting too that if there's enough of us bring this up to PCNA it might take actions to have our car fixed since its an emmision problem.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my 993, but I agree with Joel - be prepared to spend significant sum of money to have valve job done if you buying/considering 993 without top-end rebuild having done before.

Adrienne, I will join recall campaign because I was turned down by PCNA "Customer Commitment" when I asked them to cover valve job/cleaning of SAI ports as a part of emission warranty. They turned me down explictly telling me that the work that was done(cleaning passages/replacing valve guides) is not emission warranty related. They did not listen to me telling them that "Secondary Air" computer code will prevent me from passing emission test in NC. They just said that emission warranty is not applicable.

And if you have SAI code, then it's not the same as an engine leaking oil or loosing performance - it's matter of not being able to drive your 993 at all due to OBDII regulations. Well, some parts of US don't use OBDII reading in tech inspection, but there a lot of states that do. Mine - NC - does.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:24 PM
hawk993
Racer

It appears to me that you guys are doing a lot of 993 bashing yourselves due to your own misfortune, not everyone has to have valve jobs done or other problems that you guys state such as small "be prepared to spend significant sum of money to have valve job done if you buying/considering 993 without top-end rebuild having done before." and it has nothing to do with growning up around Porsches. If you don't like the 993 or you are having problems with your 993 or you are paranoid like "small" is...buy a Ford mustang, much cheaper than a Porsche any day and stop whining about it.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

I see we've found a replacement
Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-20-2004, 03:17 PM
hawk993
Racer

Sorry, I just get pumped up when people are bashing the 993, even when they are 993 owners...
Old 10-20-2004, 03:25 PM
hawk993
Racer

Old 10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hawk993 -

Ferdi uber alles!!

No really now, bashing, me??? Nah, I thought I was being realistic, considering the original topic of the thread and that Joel's Panorama article has a point.

Just to give you some perspective on my point of view, I've spent $7000 in repairs on my car since I bought it 2 years ago. And my car was supposedly in great shape when I got it. But I tell ya what, it's in great shape now!! Also a little on my perspective - I've owned a 944 and 964, and those two cars needed only maintenance, no repairs. Maybe those were luck, dunno, but my experience has certainly been different with my 993.

However, I also thoroughly enjoy my car despite it all. And THAT to me is a testament to the strength of the 993. (Note my license plate for further explanation of my perspective there...)

Quick Reply: PCA Panorama "Slam Dunk" on 993 Reliability