Sponsored by:

Cost to reprogram immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 08:00 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Cost to reprogram immobilizer?

Does anybody have an idea of how much it costs to reprogram the immobilizer for a new ECU? Rector in Burlingame quoted me approx $200.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2001, 08:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
I got some "shuck and jive" from Pioneer in San Diego that that might have to replace an ECU at a cost of about $500. I wanted to have a spare remote key fob made and they can't seem to do it, a;though they have the correct codes from Porsche NA. When it doubt...replace it is their philospohy. I will check with ANDIAL: They told me they can make extra key fobs...we'll see.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:51 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

I know what you are doing and $200 is about right because of the hassle of removing the original ECU. Besides, they are supposed to be re-programming the ECU with the immobilizer codes, not the immobilizer box itself. That way, you can swap ECUs back and forth without any re-programming.

The local dealer charged me around $60.00 to program a new ECU because I made it easy for them. The original ECU is held in by four rounded bolts without screw driver slots. I used a dremmel (sp?) tool to grind-in slots into those bolts so they could be removed. Once I removed those bolts, I replaced them with standard 10mm bolts. To also make it easier for them, I loosened all of the seat bolts, and took 2 of them out.

Now, either you can do all of this work yourself, or pay $200 for them to do it.

Rick
Old 12-04-2001, 01:26 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Rick.. Always one step ahead of me eh?

Since the ECU was previously remapped, they did all the hard work of taking those bolts out and replacing them with 10MM bolts. I already took the seat out and the ECU just to have a look a few weeks ago.

What all the "hard" work done, hopefully, it will only take them less than 30 minutes. 7 minutes to get the seat out, 3 minutes to get the shroud and ECU off and 10 minutes to reprogram it. I'm sure that they will charge me for an hours worth though.

I'll probably break the seat bolts loose to save them some time also. And I'll make sure that they are programming the immobilizer codes into the ECU and not the immobolizer itself.

Btw, are you going to be at Laguna this Feb? Have you decided what car to get?

Jeff

Quick Reply: Cost to reprogram immobilizer?