993 Forum 1995-1998

Cabriolet Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 05:52 PM
Bob 96 993 Cab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cabriolet Window Tinting

I am about to have my windows tinted in my 96 93 Cab. Question is can the plastic rear window in the Cabriolet be tinted???

Has anyone successfully tinted the rear window??

If so, whom and where? In Scottsdale, Arizona here.

TIA

Old 08-17-2001, 06:06 PM
CA993
Intermediate

I am also interested in hearing about experiences with tinting the windows of a 993. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether tinting depreciates the value?
Old 08-17-2001, 06:43 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bob,

My initial reaction is tinting film would not work too well for your cab plastic window. This is because the way the window folds and would think would scuff and stretch over time. Please would restrict even more rear visibility, especially at night. No personal experience, but opinion.

For depreciation, I would say no because it can be easily taken off. On the east coast where I live, many states will not allow heavy shaded tinting, or maybe any tinting at all. I do have light tinting on the glass of my other car which is a black/black and it has been great.
Old 08-18-2001, 02:51 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

BE CAREFUL!!!

I put one of those collegiate alumni stickers that adheres with static cling, so it had no glue or sticky residue. After two weeks on the window, however, the sun's heat had baked the plastic window and the plastic emblem pieces together!!

My fear for you is that tint is also made of plastic. If you install it on a plastic window and let the sun bake it on with extreme heat, you may completely melt the tint to the window. I do NOT know for sure if my theory is correct, but I do know for a fact that your typical college alumni sticker stuck to a plastic window causes the plastic window to warp and deform due to the reaction between the plastics caused by the heat. It is NOT that the tint would melt, because it won't. The heat between the two causes a reaction that I do not understand, so just be aware. I can post a picture if you want me to.

I have heard replacing that window is expensive, so be careful. Anyone with other experiences, I would love to hear them as well.

Robert in Nashville
96 993 C2 cab
Old 08-21-2001, 09:07 AM
Mac
Intermediate

On the glass windows, I've heard of the tinting resulting in later mechanical failure of the window mechanism. Something about bits scraping off and fouling up the rollers. Would love to have some tint here in Texas, but have not done so out of concern for this. Hope others will have more substantial info than my vague heresay story...
Old 08-21-2001, 09:12 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Mac:
<STRONG>On the glass windows, I've heard of the tinting resulting in later mechanical failure of the window mechanism. Something about bits scraping off and fouling up the rollers. </STRONG>
I have had tinted windows on almost every car I have owned except my race car and have not had a problem. I usually don't keep a car more than 5 years though.
Greg
Old 08-21-2001, 10:49 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Had one of my cars window film tinted in 1986 and to date no window mechanical problems. Suspect part of it is getting good installer for a clean installation.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Window Tinting