Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PPI recommendation in Portland, OR ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 01:59 PM
Boffo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPI recommendation in Portland, OR ?

New member here looking to acquire his first 993. Was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a PPI in Portland? Also, any experiences with Northwest Investment Cars (oxymoron?). Thanks for any help.
Looks like a great board and I'm anxious to join the club!
Old 08-17-2001, 02:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Boffo:
<STRONG>New member here looking to acquire his first 993. Was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a PPI in Portland? Also, any experiences with Northwest Investment Cars (oxymoron?). Thanks for any help.
Looks like a great board and I'm anxious to join the club!</STRONG>
Boffo:

I would strongly advise you to steer clear of NW Investment Cars.

With a little bit of work on your part, you will find a very nice 993 with a local owner and full records.

Best of luck, Sir!
Old 08-17-2001, 02:59 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I think Steve is being shy or polite...

His shop is not only the best in the area, but the best in any area. He is a true resource to this board and if he can squeeze you in between all the race cars, I would take it to him. You will be very happy.

Steve, how was the Portland ALMS Race - great show for the Panoz (I did not get to watch) How did the Job cars do???

E. J.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>I think Steve is being shy or polite...

His shop is not only the best in the area, but the best in any area. He is a true resource to this board and if he can squeeze you in between all the race cars, I would take it to him. You will be very happy.

Steve, how was the Portland ALMS Race - great show for the Panoz (I did not get to watch) How did the Job cars do???

E. J.</STRONG>
Hi E.J.

LOL,....I've often been accused of both and I must confess, "Guilty as Charged".

The PDX ALMS race was great. The Panoz cars stepped up and showed their potential as the turbocharged Audi's suffered from the normal turbo lag which really hurts at this track. Nice to see that this was not dominated by one marque.

The AJR GT-3RS's were close but no cigar as the M3 V8 cars have more power and better handling, right now. AJR finished 2nd but never really challenged the M3's.

Its up to the ACO but I hope that some "adjustments" are made in weight and air restrictors to maintain a level field. I for one, do not wish anyone to dominate this class. Its much more entertaining and satisfying to see these races undecided until the closing laps. Porsche or BMW should win on their own merits, not because of a technical advantage.

I saw where the Charlotte ALMS race was cancelled. What's up with that?
Old 08-17-2001, 04:11 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>AJR finished 2nd but never really challenged the M3's.</STRONG>
Congrats Steve and Alex Job Crew - FIRST IN CLASS!

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>I saw where the Charlotte ALMS race was cancelled. What's up with that?</STRONG>
I have been trying to get to the bottom of this, but I have my thoughts and since you asked, here goes...

Last year the ALMS race at Charlotte attracted a total of about 2500 paying customers. Humpy hates to see his grandstands on TV empty. I watched a lot of the race with him (we are the only real road race fans there) from the race control tower where he watches most races from. He knew the race was on live NBC and said a few times to me something like: You know E. J. it's too bad there aren't more people here to see this race, it is actually pretty good.

Now keep in mind that LMS did not loose money on this event since it was basically a $400,000 (probably should not have disclosed that) track rental by Panoz and the ALMS. We were not responsible for one ounce of promotion, marketing, or PR. In fact my office was right next to the ALMS guys temporary workspace who was there for 3 weeks prior to the event trying to promote it. He had his hands full and was obviously not too successful.

Combine that with some other smaller stuff like: Humpy does not want to spend ANY money on this event (wouldn't let me spend 15,000 capital to install FIA curbs: "I don't care if Indy does have those curbs for their road course..."), hence the BS tire wall chicane on the backstretch. We had the BMW Prototypes there earilier in the year to test and they could not run on the apron of the back stretch (not banked) since it was in such horrible condition, the ground effects pulled up huge chunks. So that is why the chicane was designed the way it was. Now if you watched the Texas race this year, you saw a very nice yellow raised curbing chicane on the front straight. It would have cost me $5000 to get it for the Charlotte race this year (doesn't matter now) but he would not spend the money. The tire chicane pissed off so many ALMS people that I deflected the jokes from people like Bill Auberlin and pretended I had nothing to do with it.

Now fast forward to next years announced ALMS schedule and you see ALL natural terrain road courses and street races (DC - yee haw!). The ALMS took some serious heat over ending their season this year with the Charlotte race rather than the Petit LeMans that runs a few weeks earlier. Combine that with all the other factors I mentioned earlier and the MONUMENTAL Panoz money loss last year and you have the makings of the perfect storm to wipe out a road race. I have a feeling it was mutual between Humpy and Don and both are probably happier without it.

I will tell you more info when I get it. I have a few feelers out now.

E. J.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:08 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
I visited NWI cars a couple of times when looking for my 993. My impression was that they were expensive, and knew even less than I did about Porsche.

They seem to hold the same cars in their inventory for a long time too.

As for PPI, in addition to Rennsport (who I have only heard good things about) depending on your location there is Stuttgart Autotech (Lake Oswego), Motorsports International (Beaverton) Marque Motors and Techmeister (Tualatin). Plus the local dealer Sunset.

--Paul--
Old 08-17-2001, 06:13 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to the ALMS at PIR too. There were some interesting cars off the track too.

Friday, there was a Ferrari F50. Sunday a brace of Turbo S's and a three day old RUF 996. Made my car look positively plain.

--Paul--
Old 08-17-2001, 09:02 PM
Boffo
6th Gear

Thanks alot for the input guys -- and glad to provide the thread for an ALMS discussion! Have never dealt with an "indie" car lot, and don't really want to... but I'm getting discouraged by lack of selection and obscene used prices in the SF bay.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:26 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boffo,

As far as my good friend, Steve Weiner's shop goes, I think you would have to get in line this time of the year to get a PPI done there. He's unbelievably busy this time of the year prepping race cars.

I am very impressed with Mike Jordan at Stuggart Autotek in Lake Oswego. Mike is one of the very best in town.

As others have said, stay away from NWI. I have caught them trying to sell absolutely garbage there.

If you are going to be around on august 24-26, come on out to PIR as the Oregon PCA Region be running the PCA races and Driver Education for the weekend. We still have a few openings for the DE on Saturday.

Rick
Oregon PCA Webmaster www.oregonpca.org

Quick Reply: PPI recommendation in Portland, OR ?