Another headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 01:19 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Another headlight question

I just installed the H1 HID kit from procarparts.com that was posted on the Board recently. Excellent kit, so far. Although I did notice that the driver's side beam pattern is definitely more focused in a definite spot in front of the car. I may need to adjust housing and/or check the bulb installation.
With the HID lights, the foglights, driving light and high beam all look yellow and dim. Has anyone had any experience with the Phillips Bluevision high beams? Any other recommendations as to replacements?

TIA,
Sam
Old 12-03-2001, 02:36 AM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam,
I also have HID's in my car. I put the Phillips blue vision H1's in the high beams (because they came free with my HID kit) but they naturally still look yellow compared to a HID.
Any quality bulb will look yellow compared to your HID's. IMHO the whitest bulbs are going to be the PIAA super whites or PIAA xtreams.
If you don't mind sacrificing your fogs you can do like I did and get some of those really cheep blue looking bulbs that all the Honda kids use. They put out very very little light but hey at least they don't look yellow anymore. And besides once I had the HID's in the fogs became redundant.
As for the driving lights I don't know if there is a whiter replacement out there or not. I looked but couldn't find one.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:41 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brad,

Thanks for the information. I'll try the PIAA bulbs. You're right about the fogs. I just shut them down and rely solely on the headlights. Very good investment.

Sam
Old 12-03-2001, 12:29 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

Sam,

I contacted procarparts.com over the phone and they said the kit won't work in a 993. I probably spoke to someone who was misinformed. Two questions:
1. Is this the same kit available from England at Autolamps-online?
2. What is the part number?

Thanks, Joe
Old 12-03-2001, 12:46 PM
993C4
Instructor

I INSTALLED THE VISION HID LIGHTS (H1 BULBS) FOR MY EURO M3 3.2L. IT'S KOREAN MADE AND I'VE HAD IT FOR OVER 4MONTHS AND WORKING FINE. IT'S VERY SIMILAR TO AUTOLAMPS H1 KIT.

I BOUGHT IT FROM A LOCAL VENDOR HERE AND I BELIEVE YOU CAN PURCHASE IT ONLINE AT THEIR WEBSITE. http://www.wkhid.com

SO FAR, I'VE BEEN EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS. INSTALLATION IS EASY AND I WILL PROB ACQUIRE ANOTHER SET FOR MY 993 SOON.

RGDS
993C4
Old 12-03-2001, 04:36 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,

Maybe they are confusing the 993 with the 996? Ask for Hugh when you call. I purchased the H1 HID system for my 993 and it works fine. I got them to sell it to me for $400 shipped, since I bought 2 kits. It utilizes the Phillips ballast and a set of Korean bulbs. The system seems to work fine and includes relays, wiring harness, etc.

Hope that helps.
Sam
Old 12-03-2001, 04:39 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,

Not sure about the comparison to the Autolamps system. I know that they both use the Phillips ballast, but I think that Autolamps may use an Osram bulb. Otherwise, would be very similar.

Sam

Quick Reply: Another headlight question