Old 12-03-2001, 12:54 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Spare tire - part of crush design?

Originally posted by jw97C2S:
<STRONG>I just removed the ... spare tire (to reduce weight)</STRONG>
Jim's post raised a question for me. I've always thought the spare tire was an integral part of the progressive frontal crush zone & therefore was a safety item best left in place. Is that just folklore or is there any truth to it? Anyone know?
Old 12-03-2001, 01:45 AM
My Q Ship
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan,
I don't know that I've ever seen it in print (I'm a PCNA trained tech), but I have always been told that the spare tire IS part of the frontal "crush" zone on a 911/964/993&(912). The rear "crush" zone on a 924/931/944/951/968 & 928 is also figured in with the spare tire IN place. I guess if you are tracking the car it would be a nice way to lose an extra few pounds, but then I hope the suspension has been reconfigured for the weight loss and once you're back on city streets you remember to reinstall it.
Q
Old 12-03-2001, 03:15 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Q
I've also never heard/seen it from an authoritative source. I would think if the spare tire were designed to be part of protecting the passengers, PGA/PCNA would give notice somewhere. So maybe it's just a spare tire, despite what we've always heard.

Another of life's imponderables
Old 12-03-2001, 04:38 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, with the size of the membership around here, I wonder if JohnD's magic could perhaps produce a PCNA contact that could help out when 'stump the experts' here actually produces a stump or two...
Old 12-04-2001, 01:15 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

If the spare tire was an integral part of the frontal (or rear) crush zone, I think the government would frown upon allowing it to be removed by the customer in any way. Consider this scenario: I have a flat tire and have to mount the spare. I immediately head to the dealer for a replacement. On my way there, I am involved in a head on collision, and am severely injured. If the cause for those injuries could be traced to the fact that the spare tire wasn't in its proper position in the front trunk, compromising the crash performance of the vehicle, Porsche N.A. would seem to be in a world of trouble.

What do the 993 race cars do? Surely they don't have the spare still in place. Do they use structural bracing to compensate, or to protect the fuel cell?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:41 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too have heard that the spare is part of the "crush zone", but never read any "official" statement to that effect. Maybe someone just made that up, but it makes sense. I leave my spare in anyway, figuring it's about the best weight (being low and in the front) in the car, especially for autox. It's the other end that I'd like to lose more weight from.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:45 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by A.J. - 95 993:
<STRONG>What do the 993 race cars do? Surely they don't have the spare still in place. Do they use structural bracing to compensate, or to protect the fuel cell?</STRONG>
Nope!

Not much protection other than the bumper in this 993 factory RSR - nor any other 911 race car I have seen.

BTW - this is the last Air Cooled 911 imported into the US from the Factory - a 98 RSR that G&W Racing Takes care of. Look for more pics from the G&W weekend soon!

E. J.

Quick Reply: Spare tire - part of crush design?