Sponsored by:

Pre Purchase Inspection - LA/OC California

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Marc @ Red Line Service
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marc @ Red Line Service

In responce to the comments of member Craig MX7 I must say I remember this car coming to R.L.S. although I cant put a name with the car (thanks for the picture Craig). With 9 years at R.L.S. and over 23 years of profesional Porsche experience in the L.A. area I think my experience and the reputation of Red Line speak for themselves. As Craig mentions,and other Porsche mechanics will verify, it is vertually impossible to install a 993 rocker shaft, that is the correct name of the part, backwards. The shaft has two mounting bolts, both 6mm, but one of the bolts/bore holes fits over a 10mm sleeve pressed into the cam box, therefore making it immpossible to put this part in backwards. Additionally if you could figure out how to install this part backwards the oil feed galleys would not line up. Therefore the hydrolic lifter would not receive oil pressure and never "pump up". This car would have sounded as bad or worse than when it came in. Would you pay the bill and drive off in this car? And would this car drive for a period of time without self destricting?
Red Line Service warranties all parts and service for a minimum of one year parts and labor, in the case of parts purchased from aftermarket suppliers such as IMC or SSF when requested by the customer. Or two year warranty on parts and labor when using parts purchased from an authorized dealer or Porsche Cars N.A.
This is the first time Red Line has heard anything about Craig's problem, never recieving a visit nor phone call from the car owner saying he had any difficulties or questioning the duration of our warranty, wich in this case would have been two year as we only order lifters from PCNA. I don't even know if we actually worked on this car, or if the owner only came in for advise.
Please remember Rennlisters, this web-sight is a wonderfull tool for all Porsche enthusiasts, but the information written by members is not verified nor confirmed by moderators. Thanks for your time and interest, I believe other comments about Red Line throughout this and other web-sights should confirm our reputation. Drive fast, drive hard.
Marc Bixen
Owner/mechanic
Red Line Srvice
Santa Monica, Cal.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:21 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel members here look out for eachother & share experiences... good, bad or ugly. & further...
i & many only wish we had found this source earlier.

afterall... a shop's reputation is built (or broken) on it's customer's experience.... & ultimately on 'word of mouth'... in our case (((rennlist))).... from non-aff'l people who have a love for porsches & fellowship.

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-24-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ducman
This is a great site. I am in the market for a 993 Cab and would like to know where to go for a pre purchase inspection in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. If possible, I would like to have at least one for OC and one for LA. In addition, I need to know the best place for regular service.

I have owned several 911's in the past and have been without for the past 5 years. I currently have a Cadillac Escalade EXT and an Infinity G35. The Infinity is my wife's but I convinced her that she could drive the EXT after I sell her G35. We also have a 5 month old child. From researching the web, I am convinced that I should be able to fit a child seat in the back seat.

Needless to say, I am very excited to get back into the Porsche family. The hardest thing was convincing the wife to get rid of her G35.

James
Hey James,

I understand you purchased my neighbor's beautiful 96-993 Cab that I referred you to earlier in this thread. So how was the PPI, whom did you use, how much did you finally pay, can we see some pics, oh, and maybe a "thanks for the lead", you know stuff like that if you're not too busy....
JRG
Old 11-05-2004, 12:11 AM
jmriggio
Advanced

In costa mesa:Auto Strasse. I found the guys there incredibly honest and fair. I would definitely trust them for an honest PPI.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:47 PM
JDP993
Intermediate

Another great shop in So Cal is Precision Motorwerks in Fullerton. Greg Brown is exceptionally knowledge and great to deal with. No affiliation but he does service my car.

JP
Old 11-05-2004, 04:31 PM
ducman
AutoX

First off, I would like to thank JR Gordon for the lead on the 993 I recently purchased. Next time there is a drive through the hill, let me know. The PPI was performed at Hergesheimers in Lake Forest and it was clear that a new clutch was needed. However, the PPI also found the following: Blower fan resistors/ballasts ($546.24), needed a pully upgrade ($173.24), Ignition Cables ($1,024.80), Switchblade key replaced ($88.57), front hood shocks ($104.32), distributor cap/ignition rotor ($304.76), belts ($27.18), convertible top ($1800.00). The compression test showed all cylinders to be around 210.

The car was originally listed for $38.9 and had 66K miles. Based on the PPI, I was able to purchase the car for under $30K, but spent close to $5300.00 for service. The new LWF and clutch was $2890.48. All of the work was performed at Hergesheimers. They have a wonderful facility and are nice people to deal with. The top was not replaced, but was temporarily patched up with gaffers tape. Does anyone know of a place to get the top repaired instead of completely replaced? I hope all of the major service is out of the way and many mile of enjoyable driving are ahead.

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my original inquiry, especially JRGordon. I shall become a registered user shortly.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I feel better. Congratulations and it sounds like you got a great deal. I knew they would negoiate but wow.... It's a great looking car and with those repairs I think you did quite well.
Pics when you can please...
JRG
Old 11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Congratulation James. Glad you got a car you like. Sounds like the seller is a reasonable person to deal with. NOW post pics! We all want to see what you drive.
BTW. The $32 for RL membership is one of the best upgrade you can give yourself. Talk about a slippery slop! Oh? What am I talking about? Ask the AARP members. He He
Old 11-05-2004, 06:19 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

guys... i've held my tongue on this... but in all good conscience i can't any longer.

i'd avoid redline service at all cost. don't want to go into detail.... but let's just say... (as ol'timers said) it is not what it used to be.
my decision to leave there has only been further-fueled by finding out earlier this week that 'they' used short (wrong size for 993) engine lid 'lifts' on my car when i had them replace them. (kinda' makes me scratch my head... when i saw two turbo 993's getting new engines)... d a m n .

--just my honest experience as a customer who thought he'd found a place to take his car for life.

i will def. check out tre... until then, i'm simply paying the dealer

Quick Reply: Pre Purchase Inspection - LA/OC California