Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 08:57 AM
Mac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At ~65k, right side leaking, left thinking about it. Nice synthetic smell at every long stop from burning Mobil 1. Consumption is minimal, smell is not. To be repaired shortly (tired from recent oil change, spoiler wall replacement and sufroof work!)
Would probably not use gasket sealant on this job, although I've nothing specific on this> M.P.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:51 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Bought my car with 80000 miles on it and both upper valve covers were leaking. Had them replaced right away and no more problems until now. A few small drops on the garage floor in the last week (a year later). Haven't even looked yet...

FWIW - I heard the valve covers seals are a frequent source of leaks...

E. J.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:51 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update on the moist valve cover on my car. One week after wipe down, still dry--no drips or even a hint of a drip. Holding out hope that the moisture was residual from last year's oil belching incident.

As for mileage, the '97 engine in my car is a theft recovery sold to me as having 20k miles. I personally verified with the CHP that the car (w/engine) was stolen 2/98, engine recovered 8/98. (FWIW, the chassis hasn't been recovered.) I've put 9k miles on the car since the engine went it, bringing it up to 29k miles.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Bob 96 993 Cab
Advanced

Angry

My 993 has 40K miles, daily driver.

Had it in to the dealer for a oil change last week. He advised that the right valve cover had a few drops of oil, not major. No smell, no smoke.

He suggested (removing the engine) for this gasket fix!!! $3600+ Can this be replaced without removing the engine???

Any suggestions in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for a source to fix it other than the local P-Car dealer???

TIA
Old 01-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Phew, engine removal for a valve cover? I hadn't looked closely at the passenger side, but my car's on jackstands right now & I've pulled the left heat exchanger/exhaust manifold & lower valve cover, was no big deal to do - maybe an hour with me screwing around. Less for a real mechanic w. a lift.

The gasket's $28, three replacement seals between the heads and exhaust manifold are $30 each.

Steve Weiner graciously spent time on the phone w. me New Year's Eve & advised no gasket goo - install it dry - and while he didn't have a torque spec for the bolts, he suggested using a stubby ratchet to avoid overtorquing.

As soon as it's just a *teensy* bit warmer around here, I'll be back outside putting it together.

Oh, Steve also suggested laying the cover down on some glass (nice flat surface) and checking that that cover itself was not warped. Good advice, as always.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Bob,

Would that be the upper or lower valve cover on the right side? Back in '94, I had a leaky lower right valve cover fixed on my old 964 motor for $78 labor, $10 for the gasket.

For $3600 labor, the shop can remove and reinstall the engine many (probably more than 5) times. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding over what they were going to do for $3600?

An update on the moisture on my (current, 993) right-lower valve cover. It is in fact an oil leak. But, so slow that Andial (the perfectionist's choice!) hasn't even recommended a repair.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak