993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch makes a squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 06:40 AM
Snoops
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch makes a squeaking noise

Whenever I push the clutch pedal down I hear a squeaking noise coming from the engine area.

Is this the first sign that my clutch is on its way out? Also I find that sometimes the gearstick is stuck in gear when trying to move into another.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 08:50 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Possible clutch slave cylinder noise. Does it sound like a steel cable stretching sound?
Old 08-15-2001, 09:01 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Hi Robin,

My car (a 964) seems to have a similar simptom as Snoops'. The noise is, indeed, like a cable being pulled. It vaguely resembles the tipical noise a squeeky castle door does in films. Of course, its much shorter and less loud!

Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 09:20 AM
Snoops
Advanced

Yes, It does sound like a string of metal being stretched. Sounds like it needs major oiling. Also you can hear the nooise when the car is switched off and the clutch is being pressed.

If it is the master slave cylinder, is it expensive to replace/fix?

Thanks

Snoops
Old 08-15-2001, 10:11 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Snoop doggy dog, :P

What you have described is the exact symptom of a bad clutch "slave" cylinder. Which is located at the transmission area. We all know that the 964 and the 993 based car's clutch is hydraulic, so there is no cable to lubricate nor to make that sound we hear.

Concidentally the 964 clutch slave cylinder part number is identical to the 993s. 950 116 237 11
Old 08-15-2001, 12:23 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Robin,

Snoops, sounds like we might be in for trouble! Lets just hope its not too pricey to fix.

Anyone out there had this changed recently? Does the transmission need to come out?

Any info with a particular bias to the UK markets is much apreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 12:53 PM
Snoops
Advanced

Smile

Thanks for all your help.

Is this problem serious? If left unattended?

Would this cause my gearlever to stick in gear?

If my clutch was on it way out what are the symptoms and finally If I replace my clutch does that also fix the slave cylinder problem?

Robin: Where do you go to get your car serviced? I'm thinking of taking mine to JZ Mactech, Jaz or Porschembri but not sure which one. I want to got to a good honest, know what they are doing, garage.

Snoops
Old 08-15-2001, 01:27 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello Snoop,

You could be in the same boat that myself and a fellow 993 rennlister just got out of, and that another 993 rennlister is currently in. More specifically, we had to have our transmissions removed to clean rust off of the clutch center and transmission input shaft. The rust causes binding and the sticking-in-gear problem.

Has your transmission ever been opened? In both my own and my fellow rennlister's case, the clutch components hadn't been sealed/lubed--as specified by Porsche--during previous transmission work. Further, in my case, the bell housing vent and slave cylinder cover were missing, allowing moisture into the case. As a matter of fact, the shop even found some standing water inside!

Incidentally, it was Robin that first suggested to myself and fellow rennlisters that our sticking-in-gear problem might be due to rusty components. One resourceful guy, that Robin .

I don't think just having a squeaky slave cylinder is a problem, as long as you don't have any transmission problems--like a clutch pedal that doesn't return all the way up when released. My slave cylinder was replaced way back around 1994. I can hear it squeak when I operate the clutch pedal with the engine turned off. I understand you can lubricate the slave cylinder, but the squeaking will return a few weeks later. Here's a snip from an e-mail I received from a friend that has a squeaky slave cylinder:

"The squeaking (in my car at least) seems to come from where the rod in the slave cylinder contacts and pushes on the lever (?) that operates the clutch. We sprayed some lube on the end of this rod, and the squeaking diminished. When the lube wears off, the squeak returns."

My slave cylinder has been squeaking for quite some time (over 4 years), and I agonized over replacing it in hope that it would fix my sticking-in-gear problem--in lieu of going into the transmission. In retrospect, it's a good thing I didn't replace it, because it wouldn't have fixed the problem, and the money I would have spent on the slave cylinder was effectively applied towards the cost of the clutch work.

If you do need to replace the slave cylinder, it's not terribly expensive. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 with parts & labor, and can be done without removing the transmission.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Clutch makes a squeaking noise