Way OT: Ford F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 05:23 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way OT: Ford F150

All,

Not sure if you guys remember my previous post regarding pick-up trucks and SUVs. Well I have been looking for a pick up truck for the last month and have decided to get a supercab/extended cab truck with 4wd. Then during my search I have come across several choices, Ford, Checy, GMC. Well last Friday I saw an adfor a 2000 Ford F150 Harley extended cab which I like better than the supercrew because of the style of the bed). I have seen these trucks going for about $20k+ on both Authotrader and Ebay. I found a one owner truck with 25k miles for about $17k and became somewhat interested in it. I have always liked these truck but never thought of getting one because of the price and that it only comes in 2wd. But then I started thinking how much will I need the 4wd, I use to have an Explorer and Sequia and never turned to 4wd but maybe 2-4 times a year. I only need the truck to use as a daily driver (3 miles a day to the bus stop) and occasional runs to home depot (no trailering at this time, maybe in the future an 18' foot boat). I have a budget of around $16k and was originally looking at 99-00 GMC/Chevy 1500s and Ford F150, but now am considering this HD F150. Tell me what do you guys think about the truck and if I am crazy for thinking that I don't need a 4wd in Norther NJ/NYC area.

Thanks again
AGC
Old 10-11-2004, 06:39 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a 95 F150 XL with over 155K miles on it. It has been an excellent long-distance hauler and very reliable. However, I have found that the 302 that is in my truck is underpowered for larger loads or pulling a trailer. I am not sure what engine the truck you mention has, but bigger is definitely better. I have never needed 4wd here in Seattle for hauling stuff, now New Jersey may be a different story! Best of luck with your search.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:51 PM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC,

I'm selling my 2001 F150 Supercrew 4WD, 21k miles, Wedgewood Blue Metallic, truly showroom condition. If interested, send me a Private Message and I'll give you more details. It's a great truck, purchased new, and scrupulously maintained. You'll find the 4-dr supercrew much more practical than the extended cab...the back seat is the same as the one we had in our 1998 Expedition.

Perry
Old 10-11-2004, 08:56 PM
lowblow
Racer

AGC-

I currently own an 02 F-150 Lariat which I have modded pretty good. I absolutely love my truck. It has 32K and is getting ready for new tires. I'm going to put a nice set of 20's on it.

I've owned 2 Dodge 1500's prior and think they cannot hold a candle to the Fords. I think you will be happy with the Ford.

I also agree with Tom with regards to the motor. Mine has the small V-8 but I don't usually haul anything. I pulled a trailer one time with my 2 motorcycles and thought it labored more than I liked. If you will be towing go for the larger motor. Other than that, it has good power especially after I put the dual exhaust and K&N air filter kit on it.

Good luck in your search.

Mike
Old 10-12-2004, 12:13 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

AC-

I just traded my '02 Expedition which is the same frame,interior and engine as the F150 at that time. I bought the new body style Expedition. Worst mistake ever!!! I LOVED my '02. I had the smaller V-8 and hauled a 22' Sea Ray all the way from S. Florida to Tennessee with NO problems. Bigger engine would have been nice but smaller one was certainly up to the task. The truck was "bullet proof." Unless you absolutely want the open bed in the truck, I'd encourage you to look at the Expedition. I think you might be able to get a little better deal as well. I have hauled bags and bags of mulch, sod, etc., etc. with the third seat out and a Husky liner.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:41 AM
chame01
Advanced

I have a 1998 F-150 XLT extended cab with 160K on the odometer. I have nothing but praise for my Ford. I would reccomend the crew cab if you have the choice, your buddies will appreciate the extra space.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:45 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Good truck. Most likely that truck has the 350- 5L? engine. Don't buy the 4.6 or 4.8L whatever that is. Not good. We have a van with that engine, doesn't come close the larger motor vehicles we have. You will like the truck.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Put a couple hundred pounds of sand/gravel bags in the bed of the truck and you will be fine in winter conditions assuming you have decent tires and a LSD.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Former Ford saleman here

That Harley probably has the two-valve 5.4 which should be sufficient. SOME Harleys have the supercharged 5.4 as seen in the Lightning which makes them 14-second trucks! The 4.6 is not a great solution for towing, but most Lariats and Harleys will at least have the 5.4. Keep in mind, though, unless you want that Harley trim you'd be better off with a plain XLT or perhaps Lariat. Ford leather does not last and I have seen year-old Harleys with cracked interiors.

I use a Land Rover Discovery 4.6 (no relation to the Ford modular - it's the punched-out Buick ally V8 from the sixties) to tow my cars. It has power roughly equal to the Ford 5.4 and Dodge 5.8 and I prefer the interior to the Fords. I've had four Rovers with no serious reliability issues, despite what you read on the Internet. The new Rover LR3 has a 300hp Jag V8 which should pull just fine and at $45K it isn't much more expensive than an Expedition Limited. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Way OT: Ford F150