993 Forum 1995-1998

Sway bar question, +TRG question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 01:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont get it. I just put on TRG bars on my car with PSS9's that were done in april, I dont notice any more harshness in ride. WHere does that come from. I put them on myself (the front one) and I done see how the supsension in straight driving is affected. Some one explain the physics to me. I saw
how they connect and it does not seem right that they would affect the straight line ride. Also my car now feels more planted when turning much more solid. as far as ride qaulity goes I put the PSS9s back to 3/4 after last weeks track weeeknd, and the ride is fine. I dont believe at all the ride is affected by the TRG bars.
DG I did not take off any strut or any suspension piece to get the front bar on. Bob did the rear at the track and did it in 20 minutes and he did not take off any suspension peices nor did we visit any alignment shops and the car is fine.
BTW I run the middle hole in back and the second hole in front as directed.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
... I done see how the supsension in straight driving is affected. Some one explain the physics to me. ...
OG, correct, sway bars don't affect straight-line driving on a smooth road. They come into play when cornering or hitting a bump/hole:

- Cornering. Thicker sways prevent the car from rolling, which makes you corner flatter, thereby keeping the car's suspension geometry more intact. The downside is that weight distribution shifts more to the outside wheels, thus decreasing the load (and thus tractive ability) of the inside wheels. Think of it like this: the extreme situation where you have super-huge sway bars makes the car more like a go-kart where you don't have independent suspension.

- Bumps. Thicker sway bars cause a bump at one wheel to be transferred to the other wheel too since the suspensions are more tightly linked. Thus, a bump or pothole will feel harsher with thicker sway bars. If you want a cushy ride, then take the sway bars off.

So it seems that half of us are saying "sway bars will worsen the ride" and the others are saying "you won't feel any difference".... so if either of these is correct then why change sway bars? (Answer: better racetrack performance )
Old 10-10-2004, 02:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Bumps are bumps. ON the highway it shouldnt matter. If you are looking for ride quality and not
a driving quality then there is a Mercedes dealer near you.
For me a whole new world open up and I am amazed how these cars work, and to make it better well
jeesh what else can you ask for!!

Quick Reply: Sway bar question, +TRG question