993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help, interior light and engine squeek

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, interior light and engine squeek

Hey guys - I have a couple of issues to bounce off of the collective knowledge of the Rennlisters...

The first is annoying as heck....neither of my interior lights are working. Both were working as designed, then I had an air bag on/off switch installed. After the install the interior lights did not work. I have tried/will contact the installer, but wondered if there is a separate fuse, or anything else not terribly technical I could check first. Any ideas are appreciated.

Second is a squeak from the engine compartment that persists right after cold starting. It is not constant, and is not a whine, but you hear it from the cabin intermittently at startup. Sound familiar?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-09-2004, 04:28 PM
tonyarcur
Advanced

Default engine squeak

Hi Kerry:
Engine squeak sounds like what I had. The roller that applies tension to the fan belt. Fix can be found on p-car.com.Hope that helps. Tony
Old 10-09-2004, 06:55 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Kerrysatx, my engine squeak was loose alternator belt, which ripped apart after 3 months of squeaking.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Small - your alternator belt ripped apart after 3 months!!! Did this cause additional damage or just strand you?

I am going to look at the fix mentioned in the first post and if not satisfied I will take it in.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2004, 08:21 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Kerrysatx, no additional damage - I stopped and turned off the engine immediately after I heard strange clunking(pieces of belt flying around) coming up from the rear. Not having alt.belt doesn't strand you - it's just that your battery is not charging anymore. It was in the morning on my second DE day, so with big help of a couple of instructors(FSR DE last October at VIR) I got new belt in nearby Advanced Autoparts and put it back on, while missing only one running session.

Quick Reply: Need help, interior light and engine squeek