Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage/Disadvantage of a '95 vs newer....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:46 AM
SteveL1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantage/Disadvantage of a '95 vs newer....

I have been searching for a while for the right car and for some reason just never bothered looking at '95s for some reason. Is there any real advantage to newer models other than the availability of the wide body models??? Also, how tough is it to loose the "basket handle" brake light which I really don't like the look of???

The car will be a garage queen/track car/weekend cruiser so I assume that low miles is not that big of a deal. And I plan on "personalizing" it with things like Euro TT bumpers, PSS9, big reds, wheels, etc. Any thing t look out for there???

My budget for the car is +/- $35-40k so that I will have around $12-15 left for mods and repairs. Should I be looking for a '96 or '97 for that budget range? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I am close to finishing the garage addition and long for the look of a 993 in it!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of discussion on this if you do a search. Here are some highlights:

Late-build '95s (approx. 4/95 on) don't have the basket handle -- they have the '96+ style brake light.

'95s have a little less mid-range torque than the Varioram '96+ cars.

'95s are every bit as quick through the gears as the '96+ cars, according to the original road tests; '95s are just as fast -- you simply have to shift a bit more.

'95s have OBD I rather than OBD II, so you don't have the Check Engine warning light problems.

'95s and many '96s are subject to the wiring harnes recall issue. This should not be a factor since the vast majority of cars have already had the update done, and if you find one that hasn't, it's free.

Condition, equipment, etc. are FAR more important than the year, which doesn't matter at all, IMO.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

'95s are also the easiest and cheapest to add a performance chip to.

Losing the basket handle is very simple. Takes just a few minutes to unbolt it. Then you are left with mounting holes in the rear lid, which need to be fixed and painted.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:21 AM
jbuchsba
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I have a 95 C4. It has a chip, cold air intake, and exhaust. Per my mechanic, who has worked on many a race team, it is now a "torque monster" of a 993. No air issues with obdII (chemical washes seem to be helping, see the archives). Get the 18" wheel frame support addition if you get a 1995 for about 75$ or so and go!

No regrets here. Love the car.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:27 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

one more (albeit obscure) advantage of the '95s - they are slightly cheaper and easier to add the TPC supercharger kit to.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some early 95's don't have the immobilizer/alarm (which many would consider a good thing), and as Todd said, late 95's don't have the basket handle. Mine is a 4/95 build (IIRC) and I have both the immobilizer and the basket handle.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

All good points. I have a 95 and have driven many later cars and can find no real difference. There is a bit of a difference in "feel" but that is just related to different shifting points and a slightly different torque curve. My car is an early 95, with basket handle and no immobilizer. I have not chipped it yet, but plan to do so in the furture.

The 95's are a bit cheaper, but the gap seems to be closing fast. If you are going to supercharge the car, or heavily modify it, I would opt for a 95 and save some bucks.

I would heartily agree that the most important thing is condition. Don't worry about year, just look for a car that you love that is in great condition.

Quick Reply: Advantage/Disadvantage of a '95 vs newer....