993 Forum 1995-1998

Pebble dinged my windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 03:28 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Pebble dinged my windshield

Yesterday, driving along the 118 Freeway near Simi Valley, a small rock hit my windshield and left a big pimple - a little smaller than a dime. It's right in my line of sight.

I'm sure this happens a lot. Can this be repaired without replacing the entire windshield? If the windshield needs to go, any ideas on cost ('98 993 Targa)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:54 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got two chips fixed a few weeks ago. Look under the yellow pages under glass repair or windshield repair. They came to my work and it cost $50 for both chips.

Trust me, you don't want to have to change the windshield on that car.

E. J.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts
It can be repaired, either with a DIY kit (I forget the name, available at auto parts stores) or professional windshield repair. Do not drive it until then. The vibration may turn the dime size crack into a dollar bill length, and then this type of repair is out of the question.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:17 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check your insurance policy. With my policy insurance pays 100% of replacement cost and my agent says it will not cause an increase in the policy cost.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:49 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Many windshield repair companies have a couple of rules...they won't fix chips on the drivers side of the windshield, and they won't fix them if they are bigger than a dime or so. So call out one of the companies to take a look...I've had great success on several occasions with them.

Note that many insurance companies pay 100% of the cost of a windshield repair, since the cost is small in comparison to the cost of a replacement windshield.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hanfrac
This post may be a little late for you, but cover the chip asap w/transparent tape (e.g., Scotch tape) to keep it clean. Even a little dust inside the chip will make a repair more visible/difficult.
Agree w/Kevin. Check w/your insurance agent. Most companies have deals w/repair shops, will waive deductibles & cover chip repair 100%.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:32 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Called my insurance company, who said they'd pay for replacement/repair, but I'm on the hook for my deductible ($1000>

Called the dealer, who said they don't recommend repair, especially if the problem is in the driver's line of sight. Full replacement is $1,200-$1,300.

Very annoying and unfortunate.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:38 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
hanfranc

double check that deductible issue.

Mine paid 100% of the replacement cost (with a standard state farm policy)

M in C
Old 11-26-2001, 07:09 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Mike double check the deductible issue. Most insurance policies have a different deductible for glass repair and replacement than for the other claims. For example my current deductible on collision is $500 however, my comprehensive deductible for glass repair (including windshield) is a $100 deductible. It can't hurt to inquire about this feature on your policy. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:22 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

hanfrac:

When I had to replace my windshield, I went with a local guy that used to work at Steve Taub in SM. I believe the name was Raymond's Auto Glass. If you call Taub and talk to the parts department, they will give you his #. He charged me circa $900 for a factory windshield. My ins co picked up $400. I believe he just bought the windshield at Taub and got the discount for it.

He came to my house on a Saturday.

Worth a try.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:05 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

On the way home from the dealer with my spanking new 95 993 I caught a stone in the left lateral mid windshield with a dime size spider. The windshield shop declined to do a fix. Now, 81K miles later, the crack has not enlarged even a millimeter. Not that I recommend this approach, I think it is quite a testament to the structural integrity of these magnificant cars.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:22 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by hanfrac:
<STRONG>Called the dealer, who said they don't recommend repair, especially if the problem is in the driver's line of sight. Full replacement is $1,200-$1,300.</STRONG>
Hanfrac,

Don't take this the wrong way, but there is a reason the dealer doesnt want to fix your windshield - because they get to charge you $1300 for a $300 part because they know your insurance company is going to pay for it. Do what I said before and call a glass repair shop from the Yellow pages and they will come to the car and fix it. It cost me $60 to fix two spots (the same size as yours) and one was right in the line of sight. I have to look very closely to see them.

Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to go down the road of replacing the windshield. I paid $300 (really only $100 since insurnce paid the other $200) for a Safelite windshield and they came to my office. It took three trys and three guys the last time to do it right. Search the old board and this new board for those threads.

Also, your insurance is screwing you - you should only have to pay $100 or $50 of a windshield replacement.

Fix the one you have and be done with it.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Pebble dinged my windshield