Sponsored by:

Extra Oil Cooler Alternative for 993's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 10:13 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Post Extra Oil Cooler Alternative for 993's

I am adding an oil cooler to my 4S and wanted the group to have the benefit of my experiment. While I had the bumper cover off I am adding a second factory oil cooler(identical to stock). It is sandwiched right next to(plenty of room) the existing one and plumbed in circuit. This way I am doubling the size of my cooler. Thought you guys might enjoy.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:07 PM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glen,

Thanks for the benefit of your experience! How about posting a photo?

Were you having oil temp problems before adding the 2nd cooler? Are you running on
the track? Is your engine stock?

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 11-24-2001, 09:18 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

The proper place to add an additional oil cooler is on the other side. There you get the benefit of the Air Conditioner condenser's fan.

All additional oil coolers are designed to fit on the left side. This includes the Turbo "S", and larger oil coolers for racing.

Rick
Old 11-25-2001, 01:46 AM
Glen
Race Car

George, I was not having temp troubles but cooler will be better. I will be using this car to instruct so I figured while I had the cover off I would do it. Rick, I looked at the Turbo S and Cargraphics coolers and they will both work nicely, but are smaller. By sandwiching it next to the existing cooler I will be using the existing fan to suck air through both. I have a number of friends who run 993's in different variations competitively. Some pro and others just for fun, that use this setup and it works very well. The factory 993 cooler is the most efficient one Porsche has ever made and doubling it was very easy. Not to mention the cost is a fraction of the other options. I will try to take a photo before we reinstall the cover. Hope that is helpful.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:00 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glen,

That's interesting, and I would like to see the pictures. I had a car graphics cooler on a 993TT, and it wasn't small by any means. It was very effective.

It would be nice to see another solution that doesn't cost a mint.

Rick
Old 11-25-2001, 02:20 AM
Glen
Race Car

Rick, actually you are correct. I cant remember if the Cargraphics was as big as the factory piece, but it was substantially bigger than the S cooler. The CG works very well also under load and I know the S helps also. I will try to take some pics as soon as my wife and I can discover what we did with our digital camera. LOL Whenever you see a 993 with its front cover off, take a look at the area just immediately inboard of the existing factory cooler. We are mounting it right there, literally sandwiched right next to the existing one. We have to make 2 holes in the plate at the top to plumb the lines and run them in circuit with the existing cooler. Looking for the camera tonight!
Old 11-25-2001, 11:41 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Glen,
Send me the pics when you get this done. I have the RSR cooler from Porsche Motorsports and I am still seeing higher temps than I would like. Wonder if I can run three oil coolers? I have done everything to increase the cooling capacity from making "dams" to divert air to leaving the factory fan on high. I am switching back to a stock front nose and this would be the time to do the upgrade. Does this install still leave room to run a brake cooling hose?
Thanks
Greg
Old 11-25-2001, 12:03 PM
Glen
Race Car

Greg, I think it would. It just takes another 3 inches in width from the inboard side. You could definitely add it along with your other cooler. Man I knew you were a hot shoe, but 3 coolers is a bit much! LOL Or you can run your ducting straight into your frame rail and cut an exit hole next to the rotor/spindle assembly where you run a short piece of tubing to the backside of the rotor. BTW I have your springs boxed up and will be sending in the next few days. Happy Thanks to You and Yours!
Old 11-25-2001, 12:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Glen,
What did you do for lines?
I wanted to go with a front nose that had the coolers sitting directly in the path of the outside air. (I think it was a GT2 Evo). but they were all made for widebody cars (RSR and GT2) and to make it work on my car would be too expensive. I agree three coolers is too much, but if it gets my temps down I will do it. I think it is mostly due to the gears as I spend much more time in the high revs as the revs don't drop much between gears. My mechanic says as long as I am below the 10'oclock hash mark I am ok but I would prefer to get a little more life out of the engine and in very hot conditions it has gone slightly above that. Thank goodness for Mobil 1.
I tried runing the brake ducts as you suggested but we ran out of time and just ran them between the body and the oil cooler. Hopefully we will have time to do that before the season starts. No hurry on the springs I am not going to get the suspension out of my car until this week and then we have to rebuild the shocks so it will be a while before I need them.
Happy Thanksgiving to you also, hope you had a great one, I am sure with 4 boys,not including you, you have to make enough food to feed a small army
Greg

Quick Reply: Extra Oil Cooler Alternative for 993's