Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fun & Games on California's freeways

Hello Californians.

I just got off of the phone with one of California's traffic operations officials. I asked if he had in his possession any "engineering studies" for a particular section of freeway in a portion of this wonderfully enlightened state, he stated he did not. He expanded that by saying that "engineering studies" were not performed for any freeways in California. Of course my next question was " Why not?". To which he replied.....(sit down first)....because if we did, the limit would increase to 75 from 65 on most sections. He also said that the accident rate would .....(don't get up yet)....decrease if the limit was raised to 75. I then asked if he would summarize what he had just said in a letter, and he replied that he would not. (What a shock, eh?! Well I got the Oregon chief traffic engineer to officially record that policy, but not so lucky in California...yet). This gentleman also stated that no engineering studies were performed for rural two lane highways in Califonia on which the limit had (arbitrarily?) been set at 55. When asked if he would put that in a letter also, he declined again. I asked if there was a legal requirement that scientifically based engineering studies be performed to determine speed limits, wouldn't it be in California's interest to comply? He responded by expressing doubt that such legal requirement existed, or that he was unfamiliar with such requirement's existence. Finally, when questioned about statistics showing decreased accident rates and fatalities in countries in which speed limits were non-existent, he responded by saying that California could not be compared to other states or countries. He did not clarify that statement.

Just thought that would put at ease the minds of anyone traveling along one of California's fine highways, whether visitor or resident. I'm reminded of an old
saying which might be modified to suit this situation. "Sleep in a well tonight. Your National Guard is a fake." (No malice intended to members of the National Guard, but you get the idea.)

Not that this is any surprise to anyone familiar with government policies, but anyone care to comment?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:14 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

In sharp contrast with Italy which recently raised the limits from 130kph to 150kph (80mph - 93mph) to save lives by reducing driver boredom!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

I knew that.....I wish everyone else did. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ohio recently increased their speed limit for trucks on the OH Tpke. from 55 MPH to 65 MPH to promote more use of the highway by 18-wheelers. One of the few times I've heard of any state RAISING limits. This apparently was for purely economic reasons.

Then again, I heard the truckers say that if the police measure a truck going ONE MPH over the limit, they're issuing a ticket!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not surprised that Highways (in California and elsewhere) are designed to handle speeds in excess of posted speed limits. If you think about it, you'd want to design roads that can take higher speeds because you know that, even if the posted speed limit is low, some people are still going to go fast. So you wouldn't want to design a dangerous road.

That being said, I think there are two reasons that speed limits are set low. First, accidents are more spectacular when they occur at higher speeds, and the horror of seeing that is usually enough to scare the public. So the politicians wimp out and require lower speed limits, even if statistically, that results in more accidents. The second reason, IMO, that speed limits are set at lower levels is that higher speeds create greater gas consumption and generate more potentially adverse air emissions. The politicians want to encourage energy savings, and lower pollution. That doesn't happen as much with the higher speeds.

Bottom line. Unfortunately this is about politics, not engineering.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I always thought speed limits were about 10mph slower than really needed as most consider 10-over as acceptable. In other words, if we got a 75mph speed limit, everyone would more than likely do 10 over that..

Just a thought..
Old 10-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

In New Mexico, our speed limits were raised from 65 to 75 a few years back. In my observation (and to my surprise initially), there are many fewer people who break the 75 limit than the 65 limit. My interpretation is that lots of people don't really want to go much faster than 75, so they stick to the limit better than at 65, which most will agree seems too slow. The result being less speed differential between cars and hence a safer highway.

My $0.02.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by graham_mitchell
In sharp contrast with Italy which recently raised the limits from 130kph to 150kph (80mph - 93mph) to save lives by reducing driver boredom!

This will cost us more in the rest of the EU. Premature funerals will be the norm... just like cooking their books
Old 10-05-2004, 09:14 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

It has been my "observatgion" that drivers in Germany, especially, are much more careful and aware than drivers in the US. When driving in Europe it seemed to me that the "best" drivers were the German, Swiss, Austrian, then Italian then French. i have never driven in Spain or the east European contries, but, I noticed that their drivers seemed to fall in the "less than French" category. A few other observations, no" road alligators" (peeled truck tires), the trucks all kept in the right lanes at their slower speeds, and "most" driver did not have the American attitude, "I'm driving the speed limit and I can stay in the left lane if I so choose", the German TUV REALLY inspects the cars, Also driving very fast does keep you on your toes.
I really enjoy driving in Europe..( .please this is just my .02 cent opinion) YMMV
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
willisit
Racer

Road traffic groups like the AA and RAC, here in the UK, have been lobbying for a raise in Motorway (Highway) speed limits from the current 70mph to 80mph for some time. It hasn't, and is unlikely to, happen any time soon.

A shame.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that Germans are forced to keep their cars in better condition because they must perform to higher standards, and the inspections are more demanding. Broken down cars on the side of the road are NOT seen.

Think for awhile what would happen if we adopted such an attitude of no speed limits and enforced road ettiquette as they have. The lawyers would starve. The undertakers would starve. The hospitals would suffer fewer "clientele". Doctors would suffer. Insurance companies would lose chances to increase rates. Traffic court personnel would be unemployed. Judges would have to get real. (HA!) Smokey would get fat on donuts. AAA would be like the Maytag repairman and lonely. Short hop airlines would go out of business. Tow drivers would need to get a second job. But worst of all, the car manufacturers would need to create honest ads and products and lose all the hype and bravado. Awful scenario just to contemplate. I would return to school to be a psychiatrist and cash in on all the loneliness and desparation. Until then there is Texas where the drivers really do "keep to the right except to pass".
Old 10-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron_H
Until then there is Texas where the drivers really do "keep to the right except to pass".
Huh?

Out in between cities, there is *some* courtesy. In Houston, forget it.

Helps to approach the left lane squatters in the countryside at +15 to 20, turn on your headlights, but stay back a few carlengths so as not to be obnoxiously pushy. Just got back from a run up to College Station, and it went pretty well (navigating traffic).
Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Must have been the city folk in Houston, but the rest of Texas seems to respect the courtesy of leaving the left lane open. I always flash if I am closing at higher speed and I always got a prompt response meaning a quick move to the right by those drivers who were in the left lane. In California it is slowly getting better, but the worst states were Oregon second, and Washington first. Left lane trains all the way down I-5 from Vancouver to Portland. Got so bad, I took surface streets part of the way. We need to encourage Texas drivers to visit us and maybe their manners will rub off. Then I could put away my gun while I negotiate the way through L.A.

Quick Reply: Fun & Games on California's freeways