Sponsored by:

Comparison of Moton Clubsprts to PSS9?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you guys think the proposed rule change regarding remote reservoir shcks will be adopted?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

John,
I don't think it will but we should know for certain by November 1st.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't think it will, either, but if it does pass, someone's going to get a deal on my Motons. No way do I have enough coin or talent to run in C with Greg, Manny and Chris Cervelli.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:21 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

That's what I am worried about. I was thinking RSR (?) from the Racers' Group to avoid the issue altogether. Besides, I'm a tard when it comes to fiddling with all those adjustments.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the rule does get adopted, the new JRZ double adjustable with NO remote reservoir may be a popular item. I am getting a set shortly (this will be a beta set) that I will be doing some testing on. If it works out, production units would be available soon after. JRZ has a similar set for the 996 that have been tested recently in several club races.. The results were very positive. Stay tuned.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

thanks all for the tremendous information. I am quickly beginning to realize that getting more involved in tracking the car is not a cheap process. On the upside, I have definitely prioritized my modifications: 1) suspension; 2 interior safety features (harness, seats, roll bar, etc..); 3) brakes; 4) shifting mechanisms; 5) exterior aerodynamics; 6) horsepower. I will concentrate on improving each to a satisfactory level before moving to the next one.

Steve, yeah your system for the 996 tt is quite awesome - a big hit here around the Dayton, OH P-car community. Now if we can only convince the owner to actually take his 650 hp monster on the track....
Old 10-05-2004, 03:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

had pss9 on 996c4s and moton club sport on 996c2. if you use it mainly for street, get pss9. if you track lots, hard to beat moton. i have 15000 miles on my moton, 10k on street. it does get a bit noisy on the streets.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

I have had PSS9 and now have JIC/Cross competition. I didn't like the PSS9 - too soft for the track and not as comfy (at least on my local roads) as folks often suggest they are on the street. I felt like they were a compromise for both street and track.

The JIC/Cross are pretty good for the track - and much better than PSS9. FWIW - I can ride around town with the JIC/Cross on full stiff and the ride is no worse IMO than the PSS9. And Cross have monoball mounts and camber plates up front built into the price - pretty good deal.

My region's chief instructor drove my car and another 993 (Kevin Smith) with Moton's at Hallet last weekend and commented that the Moton's were better balanced for the track but that he felt the JIC/Cross would be pretty close in performance with a couple hundred pounds more spring on the car.

So I guess I'm saying consider the JIC/Cross setup if you want agressive street and reasonable track. For track only go Moton. If I were setting up a street car for occasional DE I'd do ROW M030 and Bilstein HD.

my $.02

Ben

So Bob - can I go to stiffer springs on the JIC/Cross without revalving the shocks? I have the 475f/675r springs on now.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:55 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

I debated how to mount my rear reservoirs and have them mounted in the engine compartment just below the upper edge of the lid opening. I've run the car on some of the hottest days of the year and found them to be quite cool due to the great deal of air that is moving around them. Now, if I forget to open up my rear decklid, the engine heat can soak into the canisters and cause a potential change in the pressures.

I think it's ideal to mount the reservoirs in the cockpit of the car, but this approach involves making two holes slightly larger than the diameter of the canisters to allow them to pass through and may be unacceptable for someone who wants to reverse the mods.
Not so... it involves getting a longer line for the canisters and recharging the shocks.. at least that is what happened in my case and the JRZ's...
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Hey Ben, it was nice running into you 500 miles from home. I was pretty tired the last few hours on the return tow, but have to say that it was certainly worth it. Having driven three other tracks, Hallett is by far my favorite. If all goes according to plan, I'm shooting for doing my first club race there next year. So you need to get all the track-time in that you can till then, so the club racing school isn't cancelled next year and I'm not the only slow rookie out there, alright?

Originally Posted by Ben in Plano, TX
I have had PSS9 and now have JIC/Cross competition. I didn't like the PSS9 - too soft for the track and not as comfy (at least on my local roads) as folks often suggest they are on the street. I felt like they were a compromise for both street and track.

The JIC/Cross are pretty good for the track - and much better than PSS9. FWIW - I can ride around town with the JIC/Cross on full stiff and the ride is no worse IMO than the PSS9. And Cross have monoball mounts and camber plates up front built into the price - pretty good deal.

My region's chief instructor drove my car and another 993 (Kevin Smith) with Moton's at Hallet last weekend and commented that the Moton's were better balanced for the track but that he felt the JIC/Cross would be pretty close in performance with a couple hundred pounds more spring on the car.

So I guess I'm saying consider the JIC/Cross setup if you want agressive street and reasonable track. For track only go Moton. If I were setting up a street car for occasional DE I'd do ROW M030 and Bilstein HD.

my $.02

Ben

So Bob - can I go to stiffer springs on the JIC/Cross without revalving the shocks? I have the 475f/675r springs on now.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Kev,

Good to see you to - and Hallett was a blast. Don't know about club racing next year - need a lot of upgrades to the nut behind the wheel first. And I doubt I'll CR the 993S - planning on buying a race car for that. But I'll be there for the DE in all probability. Hope to see you at MSR later this month.

Ben
Old 10-07-2004, 04:48 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Hope this helps clarify things a bit.
Thanks Steve!

I was getting worried about the added expense of cabin mounting motons on my NA 993 until I just read what you wrote..

...yup, I'm still planninig on getting them come spring for next season

...Eric's got a consistant 2 seconds on me right now on his H&R RSS Club sport's at just about every track except Gingerman where I have the 2 second lead right now (he's got the top-o-line ones with aluminum bodies RSS versions with top and bottom mono-*****)... I'm sure if I suddenly gain 2 seconds on him that he'll be buying the motons shortly after me.. LOL
Old 10-08-2004, 04:38 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Alex,
Another very nice set up is the Bilstein RSR shocks and springs. I sampled Joey's 964 with this package and I was very impressed.
Just a minor correction. They're the Factory RS setup which features Bilstein/Eibach parts, not RSR. The shocks are available through Bilstein and you should be able to find the springs through Porsche Motorsports--they're the ones that came on the Carrera RS street car.

Since this is a 964 setup, getting them to work on your cars may be overkill. But for your reference, here are the specs:

964 Carrera RS

Spring rates (progressive):
Front 250-308 lbs/in
Rear 375-508 lbs/in

Valving (Nm):
Front Comp/Rebound 84/259
Rear Comp/Rebound 237/415

This is a very stiff setup for the street but not unbearable. Of course, that's a matter of taste so the best suggestion is to grab a ride with someone who has the suspension installed in which you're interested and see for yourself.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:40 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

THANKS JOEY

Quick Reply: Comparison of Moton Clubsprts to PSS9?