Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 02:18 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gear oil and LWF

Guys:

I have Andial hybrid LWF on my 993tt. We kind of accept that LWF generate gear noise. In my case gear noise is mostly in first gear and less in second gear. Noise in my case only when the car start moving (low speed). Current gear oil M1 75W/90

However with the lately higher temperature in SoCal, I seem to be noticing louder noise from the tranny. Note: I do not hear the noise when the engine is cold or not fully warmed up. Conclusion, noise is more as the tranny oil viscosity gets thinner with higher temp.

Talked to Redline tech support which happened to own a 993C4S and he recommends 3qts of Redline 75W/90NS with the balance using Redline lightweight gear oil or Redline 75W/90. For noise reduction he recommend the latter combi (75W/90NS and 75W/90)

Note that the 75W/90NS does not contain slip/friction modifier (hence allow the synchros to engange sooner).

I will try the latter combi and report the result.

Interesting to say that according to him (Redline tech), Porsche do not use M1 gear oil on our 993s, they use synthetic gear oil that is slightly thinner than M1 75W/90. This is why he generally recommend mixing the Redline 75W/90NS with Redline lightweight gear oil (75W/80) for 993s
Old 09-23-2002, 04:09 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
The Redline tech is wrong - why would you listen to him vs. a Porsche tech? Bty, Mobil One is to tranny fluid of choice. Check with the racers - see what they're using.

I too have a LWF on my 95 and the rattle occurs when fluid is nicely warmed up at idle. Swepco was very noisy, Mobil 1 75w90 is MUCH better..all rattling, in essence is gone!

Bty, why did you put an Andial heavier FW in your 993tt? You could have used the regular, lighter RS flywheel.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:18 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I seem to remember that Robin tried some gear oil mixture that included some Redline in it. I am sure it's part of his gear oil write up on his site.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:28 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oleg;

WRT to the RS flywheel, there seem to be cases in which no idling problems were encountered and some cases where idling/drivability were encountered (see archives).

Andial recommended me to use the hybrid one and I am happy so far (no idling and drivability issues).

WRT the noise, it is a minor issue, but I am curious on whether you can actually reduce it further by using the Redline.

About a couple of months ago I had 30 kmiles service done on the car. The shop is not positively sure whether they use M1 or Swepco at that time. I just noticed more gear noise when engine fully warm now. I have this thinking that maybe Swepco was used.

Who is Porsche Tech anyway??? You can still get differing opinions even from the so called experts. Changing tranny oil myself and trying them out myself seem to be not too much hassle to feed my curiousity.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:54 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
I used Mobil 1 gear oil in a six speed gearbox with one of many 940hp 2.65 liter engine. No problems all year long. There is almost no foaming or oil loss even after our 500 mile races.

Now that is a harsh environment.

Chris

Quick Reply: Gear oil and LWF