Plastic burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Plastic burning smell?

The past few days, my 95 C4 cab has been emitting a smell like burning plastic. This odor comes from the driver's side rear wheel well. It's not overpowering, but definitely noticeable.

The car is running fine, good power, normal oil temperatures, no warning lights, etc. AC works fine.

I took it over the Jerry at EPE in Boston this afternoon; he put it up on a lift, shined a light around the wheels, the engine, driveline, etc., didn't spot anything that looked unusual, or obvious ... like a plastic bag wrapped around the catalytic converter or something. If you open the engine lid, you don't smell it. He felt the brake caliper and the rim, they weren't hot to the touch. He's mystified.

Anybody encounter something similar? I recently changed the rims to the 5-spoke lightweight Carrera rims with new Pirellis, but after shelving my dignity and sniffing all four wheels, it's only this one wheelwell that is sporting the new aroma.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-30-2004, 03:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Vic, does the semll go away after a bit of driving? is it apparent just as you start driving, or does it comes after a few minutes?
I suspect a valve cover leak and oil pooling on top of the heat exchanger as a possibility, although it smells different.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I usually notice it when I park the car, but it's evident when the engine has warmed up, I get a whiff idling at a traffic light when the top is down. It's a constant smell so far, doesn't go away. If anything, it's gotten stronger.

Jerry took at a look and found a drop of oil on one of the bolts around the chain tensioner covers on that side, but the smell is definitely not a burning oil smell, which we are all familiar with ;-) ... it's a very unusual odor. Burning plastic is as close as I can come to describing it ... it's a very chemical smell.

The wiring harness was replaced under the recall 6000 miles ago. I don't think it's electrical, it's not that sort of burning computer smell. All the gauges and everything else operate normally.

C'mon by and take a whiff, Mike!

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-30-2004, 04:01 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Must be those wheels and tires rubbing. Havent you heard?.. those wheels dont work on cabs, you'll have to sell them to me

Just kidding..

More than likely some weeping oil from a lower v/c..
Old 09-30-2004, 04:11 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Vic,

Kathy reports that our's smells like rubber burning after some drives-could be the same smell. I also saw some smoke from the rear right wheel well once and could find nothing on inspecton. It appears to be secondary from, as Mike pointed out above, an oil leak which is already being considered as a winter project. Anyway, it is not reported as an oil smell, but that seems to be what mine is. Take a look at your pan for oil and consider that it may be splattering someplace hot.

Al

PS- Are you guys still thinking of getting together any time soon??

TIA
Old 09-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Did you switch your gas stations lately? I have the same problem with certain fuel brands.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:27 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm ... no, I always use Shell, but I did fill the tank the other day. Interesting ...

I'm pretty sure it's not oil, but maybe I'll pull the wheel and dig around a little.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
stresser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing on my 97 c4s. Smells like burning wood or plastic from driver's rear wheel well when I get out and walk around the back of the car. No smell inside engine compartment. My mechanic thought maybe I had a stuck brake caliper, but no, I did not. He never was able to discover the reason, but also tells me he doesn't smell anything unusual. Will let you know if I figure it out.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Hmmm ... no, I always use Shell, but I did fill the tank the other day. Interesting ...

I'm pretty sure it's not oil, but maybe I'll pull the wheel and dig around a little.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Drive another 250 - 300 miles (run the tank empty) and try a different kind of gas brand and gas station (my baby like Conoco 94 octane) I think you'll be surprised.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

two things to check

first the obvious. My brother had that smell in an older porsche he had, his turned out to be a plastic garabage bag that he had run over. It melted onto the exhaust and was a Pain in the A for us to scrape off.

I had this problem in my Boxster S and it was a very small oil leak (cam cover leak) The oil was dripping onto the exhaust and burning off so I noticed no oil on the ground. It turns out that Mobil 1 synthetic smells almost exactly like a melting plastic bag when it burns.

get your car up on jackstands and when cool inspect your exaust I bet you find either a small leak or the remnants of a grocery bag on your exhaust

good luck

Jon

Quick Reply: Plastic burning smell?