Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 06:05 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>
But accident avoidance might necessitate using 100% of the cars ability and having it prepared correctly might save your or another parties life. I won't make any apologies for that statement.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I could not agree more with you Greg! I have had at least a couple of occassions that my car was on and beyong the limit on emergency. I can site two occassions to illustrate the point:
1. Was in Maui Hawaii I was driving a rented Porsche Boxster. The poor car which was beyond abused was shod with two different brands of tires on the back. Obviously the cheepo company had replaced a flat tire with a cheaper brand. I was coming from wailea driving the speed limit of 45 mph. At a traffic light in Kihea I had a green light and I see a jeep coming on the intersection but not stoping!!!! Stomp the brakes, right the wheel a glorious almost 360 and my wife is crying...Thank God no contact and I could not help but thinking of that left right tire.
It reminded me of the time I had my 924 which brings me to the second story...
I was a fairly underfunded student with the Porsche bug... My old and very tired 924 needed new rear tires. I bought a set or very cheap Goodyears for the rears and left the P7 fronts as they were. On my way back from the tire shop to get into my dorms I had to make a left on an intersection which I had done a million times before. Same speed same braking etc and all of a sudden I'm all crossed up in the middle of the intersection and I can see the terror on the face of the car who was waiting on the traffic light! Three "tank slaps" later I'm on the grass thanking God I did not hit anyone and realizing the wisdom of keeping the same tires all around. Saving 150 bucks could have cost my life literally or provide me with a one way ticket to some jail in South Florida....Not to mention the guild trip for the rest of my life...
Old 09-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by scott watkins:
<strong>Viken please, that is not what I said.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please tell us in plain English what you really said.

[quote]<strong>And the last time you put your car, bike, trike, etc.. on the track to race was when???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right, I am too old to remember. Since you happen to know everything, why not tell the Rennlist members when that was? Was it about the same time you were on the track?

[quote]<strong>When you begin racing "anything" and getting paid for it, come and talk to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Give me a break! Since when does someone have to be a pro racer to give simple advice about not mixing tire brands? Oh, I think your horse is higher than mine. Once you reach my lower level, come and fetch me. We will ride the downfall together.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:40 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The previous owner of my car had tires replaced at the dealer...Continentals (german). Any opinions? I drive street only...MY racing days in SCCA Showroon Stock (Turbo Dodge Shelby) are over and out. Found out that there's a big difference driving fast technically on a track and THEN adding other cars...I was told to stick to my day job!
Old 09-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

[quote] There isn't anything wrong from a safety perspective of putting different fronts & rears. I certainly wouldn't mix left right but front back is ok. <hr></blockquote>

Boris, NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!! ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!! NEVER!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!

(what are you smoking????)

Obviously, you didn't follow Eric's advice (i.e., do some archive research). Because I put BFG Comp T/A ZRs in place of worn-out Yoko A008 in rear of my '95 993 a few years ago, and kept 1/2-worn Yokos in front. Well, on a interstate exit ramp taken at nowhere near what I would call "enthusiastic speed", that rear end came around EXTREMELY quick!!!!! I saved it due to lots of autocross experience. However, what used to be a beautifully controllable 993 had turned into a terror wih more oversteer than even my old '76 911S!

For a good couple of thousand miles, I could feel hints of oversteer on hilly back roads. So, play it SAFE - DON'T mix different tires front and rear. AND, with new rears and parially worn fronts, take it easy for a thousand miles or so till the new rears are "scrubbed" in.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:54 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok guys...

First, I do push my car when I autox it.

Second, I do not recommend two different tire types.

Third, I do not believe it is a safety risk and haven't heard any compelling evidence that it is.

Fourth, my experience was the car did handle unevenly. In my case it reduced my car's tendency to push. I imagine that's the case because I had stickier tires up front than rear. My only point is that the car handled better than s02's on all corners.

Lastly, my argument is that our cars are not neutral handling cars. The weight front/rear ratio is not 50/50, therefore they tend to have special handling characteristics. The same is true when you mix front/rear tires. It changes the handling characteristic, but to claim that it isn't safe is not true (imho).

For what it's worth.

Again I do not recommend it.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 09-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Boris,
You have confused me. First you don't recommend mixing tires but then state that you don't think it is a safety issue.
1st question: Why don't you recommend mixing tires then?
2nd question: What would constitute a safety issue?
Old 09-22-2002, 08:22 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Greg,

I don't recommend mixing tires because they will cause inconsistent handling characteristics.

And let's see what's a good example of safety... 1) I wouldn't recommend mounting a spare a gas tank in front of the bumper
2) I wouldn't recommend stainless steel brake lines with racing pads for street use.
3) I wouldn't recommend a wheel spacer without longer studs.

those are safety items for me.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by scott watkins:
<strong>I should have said, "want to be racers"

Viken please, that is not what I said. And the last time you put your car, bike, trike, etc.. on the track to race was when???

When you begin racing "anything" and getting paid for it, come and talk to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So why does someone have to be a racer (and a paid pro) to know anything about tires or driving?

I take it from your post that you ARE a pro driver. Good for you - I admire your abilities and respect your choice of career - who do you drive for? What I don't understand is why you feel that no one in any other career knows anything about tires. There are lots of great drivers out there who are not paid professionals - they do it for fun and I have seen quite a few beat the pros, head to head.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:26 PM
kary993
Drifting

Boris, I guess you finally got to the point that we were all discussing. I guess violent agreement comes to mind. Not sure about your path getting there though.....
Old 09-22-2002, 08:29 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh and scott - wow, you must be a pro driver down there in Houston. Can I get an autograph. Oops I already got one. Does your car have hurley heywood's signature on it like mine.

Take a peak....<a href="http://pages.sbcglobal.net/borist/964/pics/964-hurley.jpg" target="_blank">picture</a>
Old 09-22-2002, 08:31 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kary,

I do think for the most part that we are in voilent agreement. i'm just not convinced it's a safety hazard/issue. i guess anything but a balanced car would be a safety hazard too. that's my point.

cheers,
boris
Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So your tires aren't safety items? Nor does inconsistent handling become a safety issue?

Tires are the only 4 things that connect your car to the ground.

Just remind of what track you are running at so I can give a wide berth.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:35 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Greg,

wide berth, i'm running a bayliner...

you are a funny guy! no worries - we'll agree to disagree on the safety topic.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 09-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hopefully mine will be a Fountain..LOL!

Of course you may have a good point about how to get your car to turn in or oversteer on an auto-x course... We can just direct those questions to this post. Peace.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW! Didn't mean to start such a spritited thread.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll be replacing the rears with what I have.

PS: What is a good set of tires for 80% street 20% track?

Thanks again for my sunday jollies.

Quick Reply: Tires