993 Forum 1995-1998

Beating Mass speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 12:02 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
Post Beating Mass speeding ticket

Today, a Mass State Police pulled me over on the Pike claiming I was driving recklessly and driving at over 90. Not true...was avoiding a car going at 50, may have accelerated to 70 for a couple of seconds then down to normal. Any suggestions for beating ticket? Should I hire a ticket lawyer?
Old 09-21-2002, 12:10 AM
AustinL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely hire a lawyer.

What's amazing, is that since I have been driving my 993 I haven't gotten a speeding ticket over the past year. Although, I did get a speeding ticket in my previous M Roadster. Maybe that had something to do with that car being red and the current car being blue.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Contact the National Motorists Association at <a href="http://www.motorists.com" target="_blank">www.motorists.com</a>. This is an organization all enthusiasts should be interested in.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:13 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I passed a cop on the hwy @ 140. As soon as I seen it was a cop I nailed the brakes. Arizona law states that they eather need radar or to "pace" you for no less then 1/2 a mile.
It was knocked down to just a speeding ticket.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:52 AM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

If you were sited for reckless driving and over 90, definitley get a lawyer. It is very helpful to have a lawyer from the district of your ticket (someone who know the judges and police in the court). Since you're in Boston it should be easy for you to get references.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:54 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 241 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Speedraser:
<strong>Contact the National Motorists Association at <a href="http://www.motorists.com" target="_blank">www.motorists.com</a>. This is an organization all enthusiasts should be interested in.

Good luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree on this! I'm a member of NMA and the packet you "rent" is invaluable. Plead innocent, go to court and fight it out. Highway tickets are such a scam it's unbelievable. Join NMA, read up, do your homework and get your justice!

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:14 PM
sy308
Racer

I was on the Mass Pike last month and noted several things. First, there are radar guns attached to road warning signs every few miles where construction is done. Secondly, with the hilly nature of the road, it is easy to go pretty fast on downhill stretches. Third, most traffic is going along 65-70 anyway. I would consult a professional on the basis this is not just a speeding offense. Perhaps the speed got away from you and it was not obvious? You end up paying for this either way. Even if you knew the judge, it would cost you a few hundred dollars if it could be plead down to a non-moving violation.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:27 AM
PeanutinCA
Pro

You know, cops make assumptions ALL THE TIME!! I got nailed in Australia. I look out to pass but decide no, I can't see for a rise in the road. Next minute this big van comes flying past me!! I owned one of the vans and let me just say, mine was lucky to do speed limit so out of surprise, decided to pass behind it. So, obviously hidden by the size of the van, we both get pulled over by a cop. Now, the guy in the van deserved to get pulled over because after passing the cars he kept his foot into it, even when the cops were on his tail with sirens and the works going. Once they stop his they stop me. They say, we got him at 145 km (in 100 zone) so his license is dont for a few months. He then proceeds to tell me, I got you at 131, loss of license for a month, but, I'll knock it down to 129, just a hefty fine. Well, SORRY officer I know I was doing 155 when I passed those cars behind the van but, how can I argue. He assumed, crappy old van going fast, yuppie in Porsche must be going fast too (ok I was but my point is on the assumption of how fast, the topic of the post). He had know idea but, the cops word is more credible in court so you need some backup. Perhaps get a lawyer, go back to the same spot and take some measurements? Track rolling down the hill and see what speed your car does get up too? I don't know but, I feel for you because the time and expense to fight these things, sometimes you have to question is it worth it? It doesn't hit you so hard in Australia but here, it costs you from every angle!! Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Dylan.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:50 PM
jhb
Racer

I was driving toward the Allston-Brighton tolls at 11:30 at night, not a car in sight, I was approaching the tolls at about 55, 6 lanes of road, no cars, all by myself when I get hit with Radar. Guy pulls me over, after the toll (wanted to make sure I paid it I guess). I was surprised he pulled me over, as I was doing the speed limit. He asks me what the speed limit was, I told him 55. Nope, guess what, the speed limit drops in 10 mile increments starting one mile back from the toll, I was in a 30MPH zone, on a 6 lane highway 1/4 mile from the toll!

It was Nov 30, so he was meeting his quota, but what pissed me off the most was his lack of "fair play". I mean I was doing the speed limit 1/2 a mile before, I was not driving recklesly, and he pulls me over under bright lights and in, for all purposes that night, a parking lot. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I hate the pike.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:37 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

It's a lot safer pulling someone over for "speeding" - mind you, if you actually followed the speed limit before the Allston tolls during heavier traffic, you'd cause an accident - than to chase criminals, who could actually have a gun.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 188 Posts
kocsis,
Traffic stops are probably one of the most dangerous aspects of police work. More cops get hit, shot, stabbed, dragged and killed during traffic stops than any other type of incident. I would not suggest that the cops are being lazy or cowardly by stopping a speeder.
Challenge the ticket, but don't turn the event into an excuse to bash cops. Just my humble opinion. Just like every other profession, there are cops that are good at their job and those that need to have a little more understanding.....

And yes, I am a cop. Good luck in court
Old 09-23-2002, 09:20 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

I just came from NC to New Mexico this weekend in a new SC I acquired with NC registration on the window and my NM tags on the rear. The seller had to keep his plates. I was all good, had reg and insurance for the plate, had a bill of sale, title, and insurance for the new little 911, and when I hit Tennessee, the law was really out in force. I did not get wheeled, but while I was filling up at a gas station a cop pulled over and gave me the business. No tickets, but I WAS breaking the law he said. They make me want to puke.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:51 AM
jhb
Racer

I mean no disrespect for Police in my post, my point is that the way I was pulled over did not seem "sporting".

On the flip side, one of those "where are the police when you need them stories", I was driving home one night and spotted a car where the driver was clearly drunk. The car was swerving all over the road. I gave the car in front of me a wide berth. A line of traffic formed behind me but I had no where to go. As we appoached the crest of a hill, the car crossed the center line, and if a car had been coming the other way it would have been all over. Just as I started to think "where re the police", the car behind me lit up and passed me to pull over the car in front. She was bagged.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:26 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Guy,
Thank you for the explanation...I learned something. I wonder, however, how you and your colleagues feel about situations like the one jhb described, where the speed limit is set artificially and is routinely disobeyed - indeed, if people were to obey it, traffic would grind to a halt. In this specific case at the Mass Pike, the 55 mi. limit is gradually decreased to 25 at the tolls, starting about a mile away - yet, noone slows down until a few hundred feet from the tolls. Then, the Fast Lane/ Easy Pass toll has a 15 mile limit, which everyone routinely takes at 25 or 30...you would be rear ended at rush hour if you slowed down to 15 (or at least cursed, as I have repeatedly been recently, since I now take that limit very seriously). Yet, there are cameras that occassionally photograph you and send you a ticket by mail if you exceed the 15 mi. limit.

So, I wonder whether Police officers feel differently about a "real" speed limit violation vs. one of these "artificial" ones.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:56 AM
Doug
Advanced

I'm in S. Atlanta, land of Mini-vans and Suvs. I received 3 speeding tickets since December. I find cops reversing their course to follow me. I pull up next to a cop at a light or park next to one and I get dirty looks. I pulled into a parking lot a few weeks ago with my top down. Rather than put the top up for a few minutes I chose to park next to the cop. He gave me such a dirty look I almost moved my car. I think they enjoy pulling over Porsches and other nice cars. I believe alot of it is class envy and I think they like to brag amongst each other. What sounds cooler I nailed a mini-van doing 65 in a 55mph zone or a 911?

Douglas

Quick Reply: Beating Mass speeding ticket