Winter tires for C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 08:14 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Winter tires for C4?

I know, it's only September ... but the Halloween candy's been in the stores for two months now ;-)

But I am considering driving my 95 C4 (17" Cup rims) through the winter here in Boston and I'm wondering if others would care to comment on good tires. Tire Rack recommends, in this order, the Blizzaks, Michelins and Dunlops. They are all priced comparably, the Dunlops are slightly cheaper.

Since last year it only snowed about three times, I'm also concerned with how the tires behave (and wear) in dry conditions. I'm also loathe to putting 16" rims on the car, and I'm not even sure if that's possible with a C4 anyway; the manual says something about the AWD system being calibrated for the stock rims.

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Should I just buy a $1500 hoopty for the snow days and keep the P-Zeros on the car all year? I don't have garage space for a second car, and it will cost me at least $1200 a year to insure it here in Mass.

Vic
95 C4
Old 09-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I have had good luck with the Pirelli 210's. Used them on both the 993 and my former M3. OK on dry pavement. I would suggest a second set of wheels so when you have a long warm spell you can put on the regular tires.

Quick Reply: Winter tires for C4?