Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer Rollback: Easy to do? Easy to detect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 06:11 PM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a used Benz a few years ago. I did a PPI and the shop noticed a sticker inside
the glove box door stating “the Odometer was replaced at _________ miles”. The car had double the miles the seller claimed. I did not buy it.

I was looking at another used vehicle one time and saw the oil change sticker had a higher mileage than the odometer!

In the old days of mechanical odometers, there was a thick paint dab put on the screw which connected the cable to the odometer. You could do a visual and see if it has ever been disconnected.

I am afraid with electronic odometers, it is very easy to unplug the signal wire and disable the odometer/speedometer.

The best thing is to look at the service records to have a good idea the mileage on the odometer is accurate.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 09-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts
Dear Tim,

THe VDO odometer is notorious for failure here in Singapore. Not too sure if has something to do with humidity etc, but rest assured that the sole authorised service centre for Porsche in Singapore, Stuttgart Auto, has changed numerous speedometers due to a failed odomometer- they do not repair the odometers here.

My 964 odometer failed me at around 60,000km, my 3.2 odometer failed at 70,000km, two of my friends 993 odometers failed at approximately 5,000km, and 45,000km.

So in Singapore, we tend to place less reliance on the odometer reading for Porsche's...and most owners here will admit that their odometer was changed when selling a car (a simple check to the authorised dealer here will also confirm that).

Cheers

Harold

993 C2
964 C4 (ex car)
911 3.2 (ex car)

964<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/complete964" target="_blank">Complete 964</a>

Quick Reply: Odometer Rollback: Easy to do? Easy to detect?