Sponsored by:

Programming the Remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:36 PM
Charles Morrison
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Programming the Remote

Recently, I lost one of my remote units and will need to get it replaced. Three Southern California dealers have told me that programming or tuning of the remote can only be done by the dealer. This appears to be contrary to posts in the archives on this topic that suggest that the programming can be done by using the 4 digit key code and following the instructions in the owner's manual.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles Morrison
Old 03-03-2003, 08:42 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Charles
Although a convoluted procedure, Porsche seemed to think it could be done by the owner when the owner's manual was written. I've not had to do it, but others on the board have, successfully.
As I recall from the manual, ALL remotes must be reprogrammed in 1 session.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Charles,
I have done it for (3) remotes, so I promise you it can be done. Although it is not a difficult procedure per say...it absolutely requires patience and the ability to follow instructions to the letter. The procedure in the manual works perfectly, as long as follow it to the letter. I strongly suggest reading it all the way through about 3 times and understanding each step BEFORE you begin. Note that if you have (1) existing remote and you bought (2) new ones...all (3) must be re-programmed. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts
Charles,
Allen is 100% correct. I suggest you sit down with the owners manual and print off the DIY from Robin's site. He has a DIY for "remote programming".

Get a pad and, using these two sources, make up your own "cheat sheet" to use while sitting in the car. You won't have time at that point to be flipping owners manual pages or looking at a print-out of Robin's DIY. Make up your cheat sheet in a way that you'll understand while the clock is ticking.

I did this last year when I bought my car and only had one remote. The dealer gave me two more "blank" pc boards and remotes and I programmed all three at once.

If you want, I'll fax you my own cheat sheet, but it was written for the way my brain works, so no guarantee it will work for anyone else. Feel free to email me your fax #.

You can do it!

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 03-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Jess
Instructor

I too, have done this after inadvertantly washing my only remaining remote in my pocket.

In the process of reprogramming, I set off the alarm several times and found that I had to let it reset itself before I could try again. That meant listening to the horn sound (very loudly for about ten minutes). Remember, I had no working remotes to turn the system off so your experience will probably be different.

I tried just disconnecting the alarm horn which is mounted up next to the transmission on the driver's side but, apparenly, the system can tell when you do that and won't reset.

My solution was to remove the horn from under the car and make up some long wire patch cords. I connected the horn back up to the wires under the car, wrapped it a towel and stuffed the whole thing into a styrofoam cooler. This served to muffle the horn's blaring enough that niether I, nor my neighbors was bothered by my programming mistakes!

Good luck and I hope you don't need this tip,

Jess
Old 03-04-2003, 11:35 PM
ANTISEIZE
4th Gear

If you have your programming code,your best bet is to stop by your local dealer. Ask one of the techs to program your remotes for you. Im sure they would have no problem fixin you up for the price of a 6-pack. Plus it will definatly save some of your hair from being ripped out!

Quick Reply: Programming the Remote