Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone own a Porsche on Grand Cayman [or Florida]? These pics are just tragic...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default OT: Anyone own a Porsche on Grand Cayman [or Florida]? These pics are just tragic...

A friend just sent me these pics
http://blueoceanart.com/ivan/
of Grand Cayman's devastation after the recent Hurricane. I'd hate to be a Porsche owning person there right now. The pic below is of Emerald Eyes - the big party boat at the Hyatt and is now atop 6 cars in their parking lot. The Hyatt is the hotel we stayed in 3 years ago there!

Here are some unbelievable photos from the hurricane destruction on Grand Cayman! After you look at this first group, go back to the top and press on "East End" for some more!

Heartwrenching. Any 993 owners in Pensacola or other Hurricane damaging spots that were devastated by this recent storm? Did your car make it out OK?

Jeez - I thought I was having a tough week till I saw these pics!

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-26-2004 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, those are tragic pictures. Watched the news last night, they were talkiing about the death toll in Haiti over two thousand alone. Very tragic indeed.

Lets hope that hurricane pathway gets some relief from Mother Nature so they can pick up whats left and rebuild..
Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My family and I lost power for 5 days in S. Florida from Hurricane Francis. I actually used the Porsche to run some lights (plugged an inverter into the cigarette lighter). Now Jean's heading straight for us. I'm worried about all the piles of debris that are in my neighborhood. It won't take much wind to get that stuff flying....
Old 09-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

PedroNole: Yeah, I hope the new tropical storm doesn't do much damage to your 993 or your neighborhood! What a season. My sister moved down to Miami from Washington DC right after Hurricane Andrew destroyed an entire county and the people rebuilt their houses. She bought a rebuilt house but is nervously waiting for the next Andrew. I think I'll just stay up here in Maryland. We may get our odd tornado once every 15 years, but that's about it.

Steve
Old 09-23-2004, 11:03 PM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God help those people. Very touching images.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Ivan Eye Wall passed within 10 miles of my 993. Unfortuantely I had to leave her during the evacuation. My garage held fine and she is safe and sound. Actually my area faired really well. No power for 3-4 days but for the most part we did great. That last little bump east that caused the P'cola devistation saved a direct hit on Daphne, AL and with it my 993.

I haven't talked to anyone in the Sonnenshein region PCA yet but most of our members are in P'Cola so i am worried about how they all did

Jon
Old 09-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Good luck to all those Porsche owners in the Melbourne, Fl/West Palm Beach area this evening with Hurricane Jeanne ... I'm watching that Anderson guy again on CNN tonight getting blown around while reporting live outside in 100 mph winds. I'd be mortified if my garage was damaged and a palm tree fell down and ruined my 993! Glad I live in the Northeast! We only get an occasional tornado every 15 years or so

It's never happened before that 4 hurricanes hit the state of Florida in one season. Sucks to be a Floridian this month. Maybe we'll just retire here in Maryland instead of Florida after all!

More hurricane Ivan pics below... just awful.
http://www.hurricaneivan.ky/gallery/MyGallery/

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 07:24 AM
willisit
Racer

Oh my.. incredible. My thoughts are with you guys.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:55 PM
baja272
Instructor

We had the joy of hurricane charlie within eight miles of our home (thank God for hurricane shutters). The hurricane was supposed to go into tampa bay, but at the last second it turned and headed directly at us. We had neighbors and friends show up at the house because they were in fear for thier life (kinda scarey). Not only did the storm change at the last second and increase its strength, about one hour before it was supposed to hit us it turned into a catagory four and the expected tidal surge went from six feet to a possible sixteen feet. As soon as they made the announcment we lost power so we had no idea what was going to happen (our house is at eight feet above sea level on a salt water canal). Needless to say we were expecting to end up in the attic if it was still there. Luckily we only recieved a three foot tidal surge so the house stayed dry. By the way... I had the Porsche jacked up as high as posibble on jack stands (about three feet) and we only recieved some roof damage, tree and pool screen damage. Three weeks later, hurricane Francis, Ivan, then Jean. The latter storms only produced 50 to 70 mph winds. I've had enough of this season and I'm a Floridian. Boy.... this was a heck of a first post (been reading for several years).

Thanks for all the info I've gained in the past.

Jeff

Current: 96 Arena Red/Black C4S, Fikse, Factory Turbo wing and absolutly perfect condition
Past: !980 SC, Black/Black

And I drive them like they were stolen, Why, because thats what they were made for!

Last edited by baja272; 09-27-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Jeff - that's quite a story! Can you imagine if there was that 16 ft tidal surge? Ouch to your 993. Thank g*d it didn't play out that way...

I can't believe there are no other Floridians with semi-disaster stories. I guess that's a good thing. I'm just a disaster loving fool. I watched September 11th 2001 play out for days and days totally glued to the TV till 2am every night with CNN. When that went to commercial it was MSNBC. I'll watch a hurricane half the night on CNN and I live 1500 miles away. I'm totally drawn to the morbid.

Steve
Old 10-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a busy month for those of us in the Plywood, er Sunshine State. It's certainly cut into my Rennlist time too!

Overall, my family was very fortunate in these storms. We lost 3 shingles, 2 trees and a fence in Frances, which were easily taken care of with materials I already had in the garage. Jeanne, on the other hand, took off ~15-20% off the shingles on my roof, and caused water damage in my master bedroom and garage. In fact, had a good friend of mine not noticed the water on the p-car, the ceiling (pic below) would have collapsed on it.

Overall, it could have been far worse, and in fact it was far worse for many other people. My thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

A couple pics from my home:

-Chris
Old 10-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very tracic.

We survived the hurricanes very well.

I live couple of blocks from Atlantic and low lying area (we're in "red zone" and had twice, during Frances and then Jeanne, mandatory evacuation orders) so we were very concerned about flooding.

Besides some landscaping damage and couple of days without power (during Frances) we had no damage. Of course, lot of debris, tree leaves etc. cleaning but nothing else so we were very lucky.

Car is fine as well and sat in the garage during those hurricanes.

Good thing (at least) here in Miami Beach area is that public garages are open and free parking before the hurricanes so you can park your car high if you don't have a garage. Also the shopping center near us had their garage open until hurricane was close enough when they closed the gates (and opened when hurricane had passed).

Best of luck and strength to those who weren't so lucky. There are many of those.

Through my son's school we were able to send some water and can food already but I know that's not much when you don't have a roof or something. But still something so if anyone is interested, I'm sure there's a way of helping in a similar way no matter in which state you live.

May god help all those who got hit badly and let's hope we're done with them for this year.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:34 PM
baja272
Instructor

I've noticed a disturbing trend. Three of the us with close calls have arena red Porsches.

Jeff

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone own a Porsche on Grand Cayman [or Florida]? These pics are just tragic...