Gates Krikit V-belt tension tester

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 06:13 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dudley
Jonathan, Quite a stable of P-cars - very nice.Dave
Thanks very much, Dudley! I just now saw your kind compliment.

That is a lovely C4 Cab you have, too! I decided about a month ago that my next Porsche will be a 1995 C4. I love the 993 body (the front looks very similar to my 968, so I'll be right at home in that aspect), no OBD-II worries, and it is the last of the great air-cooled Porsches. Don't laugh, but how difficult are they to work on relative to the 968? I know that the engine would a completely different ball game, but in terms of access to key engine components, how difficult is it?

In regards to the purchase of a Krikit I, I called my local Carquest today and the guy said they were $287.00!!! I told him there must be some mistake, and he sounded as if I were crazy to think I could get one for $10.00. He said that it is rare that a Gates belt even costs $10.00. I told him that several people from around the country had purchased one for that price, and that I would get back to him.

When I got home, I looked up this thread and found the exact part #, 91107, listed by BobbyT. (Thanks, BobbyT! ) I called Carquest back, and, sure enough, it was only $9.69. It turns out that the previous salesperson had been looking at a "Timing Belt Tensioner" that was Gates # 91000, hence the $287.00 price tag.

I had them to order it for me. None of their warehouses had it in stock, so I will incur a $5.00 drop shipping charge, but that's no big deal. I just wanted to say thanks to you guys again for the detailed information. When one does a search on the web (google is my weapon of choice), surprisingly little comes up about the Krikit tool. Also, surprisingly little comes up about it on Rennlist, in fact.

Thanks again, guys!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Super Dave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a Instruction sheet I have put together for setting the tension on the 944 belts.
You can also download it in PDF
http://www.44andmoreparts.com/tech/timing_tool.htm
I am open for feedback on it...........

Quick Reply: Gates Krikit V-belt tension tester