Front fender/bumper beading replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:17 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Front fender/bumper beading replacement

The next project on my list is to replace the "beading" between the front fenders and the bumper cover. It is not in bad shape, but the fit is poor. It looks like it was held in place with double-stick tape that you would get at Office Depot, and the tape is giving up.

I did a search on this topic and found some good stuff, but there are still some issues I'm not sure about. I found one post somewhere that showed using staples to hold the new beading in place, but I can't locate that again. I'm thinking of using 3M Molding Tape to stick the beading to the bumper. This is the same tape used to mount trim and badges on cars.

Anyone else "been there, done that"? Any tips for this project?

BobbyT
Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The beading is actually held in with staples. I'm not kidding. If you replace it, just look carefully where the round part lays on the bumper. Put the new on in the same spot (there are some marks to line in up length wise). Then get a good staple gun and some stainless staples (no rust). The rest is easy..... That is why you will see all the extra parts of the bead to mount the staples....
Old 09-21-2004, 03:25 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bobby-

This will help, if you've not seen it...

http://p-car.com/diy/bumper/newcover.html

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Bobby,

When I changed the bumper cover on my '97 C2 over to the TT cover, I replaced the fender beading with new on the new cover.

The old beading was held on by the sticky tape, like yours. My procedure that worked very well:

- Use 3M Black Weatherstrip Adhesive in a tube. Squirt a length onto a piece of cardboard and apply it to the fender area and the back of the beading with a smalll touch up paint brush.

- Clamp in place using those black spring portfolio clips that you use in the office. The medium size work best. I use pieces of stir sticks (like Starbucks coffee stir sticks) to go between the spring clip and beading to distribute the pressure and clamp the beading in place for the adhesive to bond.

- Work like this the whole length and let sit overnight - the beading will never move or "work" out of position again.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Front fender/bumper beading replacement