Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished 17th coat of Zaino and 8th coat of Rejex!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:00 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Just finished 17th coat of Zaino and 8th coat of Rejex!

Actually, I don't use either, but it seems that the Zaino and Rejex folks take pride in how many coats that they put on the cars. Personally, I get great results with "off the shelf" stuff and some elbow grease. These pics were taken yesterday when I had a couple of the boys out for a car show at the local college campus to support the SAE formula car project:

Yes, black is a pain to clean and polish, but it looks good and is worth it. The 993, by the way, was just wiped down with detailing spray after having been run at Road America a couple of weekends ago. It had a few tire marks on it not visible in the photos, but hey, it is a race car...
Old 09-20-2004, 06:48 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

They all look great, Skip. I especially like your Carrera S So, are you going to tell us what kind of wax you put on the Carrera S?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip...you stopped just short...it's the 18th coat that really makes the Zaino look great!!

Beautiful cars & great work. Hope to see you at the track again soon.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, you might have already seen this on the 997 board, but here's the list and disclaimer:

Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner - Works well either by hand or with an orbital polisher, gets out water spots, oxidation, etc..
Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Polish - Works great with above and leaves an awesome shine that seems to get better with each application.
TR3 Resin Glaze - Easy to use glaze and polish, leaves a durable finish that seems to smooth out the paint surface.
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax - New stuff that works great, even just by itself, although it's a bit pricey.
Wax Shop Slick Stuff Spray Detailer - Best of the 1/2 dozen detail sprays I've tried, works well on glass, plastic, etc.
Mother's Back to Black - Great for the rubber and plastic bits.
Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish - Makes the exahust tips nice and shiny.

I don't work for any of the above companies, and this is simply my own opinion based on extensive field testing. So far there don't seem to be many miracle products (although the new tech waxes come close) and it takes some effort to get the car looking really good. I enjoy cleaning and detailing my cars, but otherwise I'd probably have a detail shop take care of them.

Someone on that board suggested the fine cut cleaner from the Wax Shop, and I'll probably give that a go. Some fine cut cleaners work a little too well for my tastes and I avoid them except as a last resort.

Rick, I knew that I was doing something wrong. My arm had given out and I could barely shift the car, so I figured I had to quite while I was ahead.

It was great meeting and hanging out with you and the rest of the HWFM gang at Road America. I'm thinking of going to the PCA race at Heartland Park, Kansas, which is just about 1/2 way from Denver to Indianapolis. And you could be club racing a sweet 993 racecar...

Quick Reply: Just finished 17th coat of Zaino and 8th coat of Rejex!