Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let your friends drive your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004 | 08:13 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jeeva
FWIW, RJT 993 i agree with you, and i found the response to your initial post by christer weird, this is just an opinion poll.
Thank you Jeeva, so did I. Almost felt personal, and I don't take things personally all that often, and never this easily. Just got under my skin that's all.

JoAnne
Old 09-20-2004 | 08:23 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RJT 993
I've had friends who in a state of panic or uncertainty hit the brakes in their new 911's and brought the whole thing around. I haven't done that (thank goodness) but I've had my rear end get a little wiggly on me and knew enough to power through it and NOT hit the brakes.The average Joe or Jane would have hit the brakes.
Yep, when I hand over the keys, one of the first explanations I give is to keep your foot in it. The explanation alone scares people, and they generally take it easy. It takes a lot of getting used to for those unfamiliar with rear-wheel, rear-engine.
Old 09-20-2004 | 08:33 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Of course. Friends are more important than any car, even one as cool as a 993.

Our neighbor's 20-year old son left last year to do a 6-month engineering externship with Porsche. He had never set foot in a Porsche, so I made him drive the 993 to properly "prepare" him for his new college assignment. He was a nervous wreck and never got it above 50 mph on the highway!
Old 09-20-2004 | 09:32 PM
Seljan
Pro

I had one of the best drives this summer when a friend and his wife took my cab..and my wife and i took the turbo for a run through one of the nice parts of the state.However,no one gets the keys to the turbo.
Old 09-20-2004 | 10:11 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Great,
I'm glad to know that I'm not alone... I do find however, that most people I let drive the car, never get comfortable enough to really enjoy it. They either shift too early or hold the clutch too long. I have to beg them to rev the car past 3500rpm and have heard myself saying, numerous times, "It's a Porsche, it doesn't make any power below 3500."
Then I have to give the whole lesson on why they are high rev engines.
Of course it can be embarassing when your sitting in the passenger seat and your buddy stalls at the light, you know the passerby's are thinking, "that guy can't drive his Porsche.." lol..

I always tell my GF she can drive the car whenever she wants but she never does.
Now of course I don't just throw my keys to anyone, but if they are a carophile, why not... let em drive..
Old 09-20-2004 | 10:57 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

/// 951 owner butts in

Even though my car isn't a 993, I still protect it as much as you guys do. I've only let two people drive it besides me, my mom (:P) and a co-worker. Then again, they are the only ones that have asked.

I'll let certain people drive it providing they are good drivers and can drive stick. Even some of my best friends I would have doubts about, most of them push there car far past it's limits.

Time will tell once I get it back.
Old 09-21-2004 | 01:40 AM
CP
Race Director

Folks,

Sorry, late to the thread. I absolutely would let my friends drive the RUF. The expressions on their faces are worth what little risk I take. They know better to go 9/10s on public roads. That could be a story they eventually tell their grand children.

I taught my 21 years old nephew how to drive stick shift using the RUF. When he pulled up in front of his front door, his next door neighbor had to pick his lower jaw off the ground. Wish I had a camera for that Kodak moment.

I also let my M5 buddy take it out with his girl friend. They loved it.

I share my toys.

CP
Old 09-21-2004 | 01:55 AM
993RS
Race Car

All this stuff about "doing anything for friends" and the "993 is just a car" is too sanctimonious for me.

1) The 993 is not just a car. It is a way of life like a Harley Davidson. This is about passion. Either you feel it or you don't.

2) I'd do anything for friends too, just not let them drive my car...
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:46 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Phil, I was hoping to take er for a spin through some Alp twisties, no?
Old 09-21-2004 | 04:07 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Hey Phil,
If I owned a Harley Davidson, I would let my friends drive that too

Come on Phil, let em drive.... They won't make a fool out of you...
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:13 AM
Christer
Race Car

RJT 993, to be honest - I didn't even realise that you were female until I read your post again and saw 'Ms J' or Joanne at the end....my apologies! I can only say that on the 964 board, we do not get female posters very often. At least now you hopefully know I was not talking down in any way.

Obviously, a friend would have to have a driving licence to take the car out!

Although the car is my passion too, it cannot compete with friends or family. And never will.
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:15 AM
d.s.d
Intermediate

its a car and ALL my friends have driven it...the car has ins. so i really aint botherd with what happens coz i know it will get repaierd (that doesnt mean i dont like my car but i prefer my friends) cars come and go i like my freinds to last... and my dont get me wrong most of my freinds drive "better" cars... but sharing is nice.. its better to have REAL freinds than ten or more cars
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:18 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by 993RS
All this stuff about "doing anything for friends" and the "993 is just a car" is too sanctimonious for me.

1) The 993 is not just a car. It is a way of life like a Harley Davidson. This is about passion. Either you feel it or you don't.

2) I'd do anything for friends too, just not let them drive my car...
I am not intending a dialog on this, because I think it could get nasty. Good luck with your 'way of life'!
Old 09-21-2004 | 06:00 AM
993RS
Race Car

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Phil, I was hoping to take er for a spin through some Alp twisties, no?
For you Alan, I will gladly make an exception...
For you too JoAnne.

For Christer, I won't...
Old 09-21-2004 | 06:04 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just Rennlist Friends So Far...........

Quick Reply: Do you let your friends drive your Porsche?