Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Care - ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003 | 04:57 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

From: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)
Question Convertible Top Care - ideas welcome

What products do you recommend for care of the convertible top and how often should they be applied? I've used Groit's plastic window cleaner with success, but I haven't yet treated the cloth material. I've seen a few scattered references to this topic - yes, I did search.

Should I lubricate the convertible top mechanism cables? My top creaks a bit when in the raised position and I wondered if that might help.
Old 04-07-2003 | 09:36 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure about the lubrication, but I ordered the Porsche Cabriolet top cleaner, masked off the entire car, and sprayed about half the bottle. Used the Porsche cleaner first...seems to do the trick nicely.

<a href="http://www.autopia.org" target="_blank">www.autopia.org</a> is the guru place for detailing...one of the moderators, BradB has a 993.
Old 04-07-2003 | 10:17 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

before i treat the top on my mother's convertible, I always take the big honkin' shop vac to it. I'm thinking it is better to get the dirt and grit out before sealing it in. max
Old 04-07-2003 | 10:40 PM
DrZ
Racer

From what I have learned from Autopia and personal experience use Plexus with a quality micro fiber towel to clean your plastic window. It must be dust free before raising the top or you will get scratches. I stop the top at 90 degrees and make sure the window is folding evenly, if not you will get a white crazing which will not come out. I alway use the boot to save the headliner, and never leave the top down over night. Meguirs #17 Plastic cleaner or Renovo works well for removal of fine exterior scratches.

I use Wolfstein's Raggtopp cleaner and protectant for the fabric. No masking necessary which makes it much easier to use than the Tequipment product, as well as a better deal. I believe I bought this stuff at Autofanatics.com
Old 04-07-2003 | 11:20 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Before you seal the top, lint rollers do a good job after you wash and dry it to remove lint, etc. that is left behind. It will also pick up residual dirt.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Care - ideas welcome