Sponsored by:

H&R spring rates vs. PSS9

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question H&R spring rates vs. PSS9

Per the carnewal web site the H&R sport Coilovers have the following spring rates:
Front: 310-350
Rear: 350-375

the (regular H&R) 29954 kit's rates are:
Front: 290-310
Rear: 350-370.

And the PSS9's have:
225 - 250lbs for the front
400 - 685 lbs for the rear

That is a huge difference!! H&R gives you more in front & PSS9's give you more in the rear so which is better/more important??
The standard US suspension is 150-200 front and 225-275 rear
Old 06-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I'd ressurect this unanswered question - those differences are not small and very surprising - anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Kristoffer,

Great dat we all can use...you mention spring rates for stock 993, what about spring rates for M030 US and M030 RoW? I could really use this infromation.
\
Thanks,

Martin
Old 06-15-2003, 02:01 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Tech-Law:
<strong>I thought I'd ressurect this unanswered question - those differences are not small and very surprising - anyone have any thoughts?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Actually it is far from being an unanswered question...It has been discussed many times.

In any case H&R is keeping with the factory spec difference between front and rear. The normal suspension has the same difference front and rear with the H&R only softer.

The PSS-9 has more radical differences Front to rear but it is adjustable.

In theory a stiffer rear will lead to move oversteer characteristics, but bear in mind that the factory setup has dialed in more understeer so it is not that simple.

You also have to calculate the sway bar configuration, tires and suspension set up like camber settings etc. For example just by altering the camber settings you can dial in the characteristics of the carfor more over or understeer behavior.

I think the whole think will come down to what you really like. "Better" is very subjective statement and you really need to drive both systems to conclude. For example I have the H&R coilovers on my cab and i really love them. Others swear by the PSS-9. Bottomline they are both very good systems with their pros and cons.

Quick Reply: H&R spring rates vs. PSS9