Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy S-02 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001 | 08:15 PM
George Helser
Instructor

Post Noisy S-02 tires?

I am in the market for a 993 C2 coupe with LSD and just test drove a 97 with Factory
Tech 18” wheels and M030 ROW suspension.

On this car the rear tires seemed loud with windows closed & AC on. Is this normal with
Bridgestone S-02s 225/40ZR18 Front 265/35ZR18 rear?

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 08-11-2001 | 08:36 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

High performance tires are usually louder than others. The S-02 is not considered overly loud. However, any tire becomes louder as tread wears down. This is because the rubber hardens as it goes through its heat cycles. It is possible that the particular rear tires you heard had close to or less than 50% of their full tread.
Old 08-12-2001 | 12:45 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Viken,

The rear tires have about 500 miles on them.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 08-12-2001 | 07:14 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi George,

I also ran S-02's on two previous 993's, and didn't consider them loud at all.

What are your tire pressures?

Rick
Old 08-13-2001 | 12:05 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

I have S-02's on my 97 C2S and don't consider them loud.

Of course I can hardly hear them over the new RSR mufflers courtesy Robin.
Old 08-13-2001 | 01:44 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Rick,

I don't know the tire pressure as I was only test driving the car.

The "tire noise" concerned me that it could be a problem with a wheel bearing or the gearbox. ZIG-ZAGGing the car produced no change so I assume it is not wheel bearing noise. I am assuming it is tire noise.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 08-13-2001 | 03:29 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Viken: ..any tire becomes louder as tread wears down. This is because the rubber hardens as it goes through its heat cycles.
Viken, I'm curious where you got this notion from (because you're usually right). I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm suspicious that treadwear isn't the issue simply because, as you know, 911's go thru the back tires about 2-3X faster than the fronts, and I always notice the backs making noise before the fronts.
Old 08-13-2001 | 03:42 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have S02s also, and noticed that there is a lot of noise from the tires up to 20-25 mph, and then it goes away. If I had not previously driven a 993 Turbo a while back that did exactly the same thing, I would have been concerned just like you were. When I lowered my pressures for an autocross, I found that tire pressures don't make any difference in the noise. You will get used to the sound and won't even notice it.
Old 08-13-2001 | 04:17 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
<STRONG>Viken, I'm curious where you got this notion from (because you're usually right). I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm suspicious that treadwear isn't the issue simply because, as you know, 911's go thru the back tires about 2-3X faster than the fronts, and I always notice the backs making noise before the fronts.</STRONG>
Jim,

It seems that we are both saying the same thing. Am I missing your question?
Old 08-13-2001 | 06:02 PM
Bob 96 993 Cab
Advanced

I am in the market for a 993 C2 coupe with LSD and just test drove a 97 with Factory
Tech 18” wheels and M030 ROW suspension.
On this car the rear tires seemed loud with windows closed & AC on. Is this normal with
Bridgestone S-02s 225/40ZR18 Front 265/35ZR18 rear?

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

George: I just installed my second set of SO2's on my 96 993 last friday. I am running the same fronts as you but my rear tires are 285/30ZR18's. The new ones are very quiet. Now the installer in Tempe, put 40 psi in the front and 46 in the rears. A bit high but real nice. and very quiet and smooth. I am very pleased.

My old set had 33 psi in front and 40 in the rear. They were much louder. I suggest checking the air pressure.

I also have the Factory Tech Wheels.

BOB IN SCOTTSDALE.
Old 08-13-2001 | 07:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Bob 993 Cab:
<STRONG>The new ones are very quiet. Now the installer in Tempe, put 40 psi in the front and 46 in the rears. A bit high but real nice. and very quiet and smooth. I am very pleased.</STRONG>
With such high pressures, you're going to see a lot of middle tread wear pretty quickly. I suggest you back-off to below 40 on the rear and a couple of psi's less on the front.

<STRONG>My old set had 33 psi in front and 40 in the rear. They were much louder. I suggest checking the air pressure.</STRONG>
It wasn't the pressures. A new tire is always quieter than an older one.
Old 08-14-2001 | 02:21 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Pete,
Now that you mention it, the tire noise seemed to be getting my attention at lower
speeds. However, the car is louder at higher speeds so... If I drive the car again, I will pay closer attention to tire noise vs speed.

BOB IN SCOTTSDALE,
Good tip to check air pressure. I am near Pinnacle Peak mountain. Where are you?

I am not worried about tire noise, just trying to make sure there is not a mechanical
problem.

Regards,
George
In sunny North Scottsdale AZ
Old 08-14-2001 | 04:13 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Originally posted by Viken Bedrossian:
<STRONG>
It seems that we are both saying the same thing. Am I missing your question?</STRONG>
My question is: does the noise from older tires originate because of heat cycling and resultant hardening of the rubber, as you suggest, or because of anomolies in the tread caused by treadwear as I have always assumed?
Old 08-14-2001 | 04:32 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
<STRONG>does the noise from older tires originate because of heat cycling and resultant hardening of the rubber, as you suggest, or because of anomolies in the tread caused by treadwear as I have always assumed?</STRONG>
Someone correct me if I am wrong but my guess is the former as this happens anyway while the tread wears down. However, I have noticed tires getting noisier from hardening (aka vulcanization) as they sit for very long periods of time. The bottom line is that they get noisier as the rubber hardens one way or another.

Here's a web site that explains "vulcanization" a bit more:
Vulcanization & Compounds

Quick Reply: Noisy S-02 tires?