OT: An SUV or Pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:09 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: An SUV or Pick-up

All,

I am looking for a second vehicle for my family. Currently I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey that my wife uses as a daily driver, I have a 1996 Ford Windstar that I use and last is my 1996 993TT. Now I just got the Honda and it is a great minivan, I have always had a minivan in the family and love them because of their versitility. I have had sevel SUVs (Explorer, Sequia and GMC Jimmy). I am looking to get rid of my Windstar and get either a 1999 GMC/Chevy Suburban or a 1999+ (extended cab) GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado. Which ever one I decide on it will be a 4x4 (I live in NJ/NYC and need the 4x4 for my wife in the winter). Now I have never owned a pick-up before and am not sure if I should get one or just stick with an SUV. I was thinking of getting a pick-up to be able to carry stuff from Home Depot or anything else I purchase. I will also use the truck as my daily driver, which is only 2-4 miles a day (bus stop). So my question is should I get the full size SUV or a fullsize pick-up. Please help and give me rpos and cons.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 06:23 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

AC
I think you answered your own question. If you need it for Home Depot runs then you will be thrashing your interior of your suv or trying to strap plywood to the roof. Removing seats and putting down protective covers is a major PITA and sometimes a 2 person job.
Good Luck
Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM
AGC
Racer

Kim, Thanks and I really don't need a people hauler because I have the Odyssey.

Seege, Thanks and I was thinking the same thing and didn't really want to worry about messing up the seats or anything else inside the vehicle.

One of the reason I decided to buy a used truck or SUV, is so I do not have to worry about parking it outside all day in the parking lot or carrying anything inside the truck. The only thing is I will need to take my son to my in-laws before work maybe twice a week, that's why I thought that if I buy a pick-up I will need to buy and extended cab.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:44 PM
lexpilot
Racer

This is a conundrum. My HD 2500 Duramax tows and hauls everyting uphill against a headwind at 20 over the posted limit. But it rides much rougher than a 1500 series. Late model suburbans have coil springs in back and they ride even better. Pickups are cheaper to buy and depreciate at a slower rate in general.
I love my Duramax when it is loaded with 5 people, every single thing they need to go waterskiing or camping, and towing the boat or travel trailer. But when it is empty it seems cumbersome, especially if I just got out of the Porsche.
You would be wise to drive some half ton and SS Chevys and then try a 2500 immediately after.
Duramax wins against the Powerstrokes towing a trailer. We travel with 2 other trailer-trashers and the Powerstrokes cannot keep up going uphill.
If you go with a lighter weight pickup you should look at the Toyotas because of lower maintenance costs.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 PM
John95cab
Instructor

If you get a truck get a 3/4 ton. There is a big difference between the half ton and the 3/4 ton especially if you are going to tow. Pickup is indispensable for hauling anything ('cept people). The first time I tried to carry a 2x6 in my Expedition I tore a hole in the door liner.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have both an Expedition (2000) and a Toyota Tundra (2004). I have had a pickup almost my entire life, and could not imagine not having one. I want to be able to haul stuff around without smelling it or whatever. I also keep a 91 Ranger for the really crappy stuff. That is my favorite, I NEVER worry about door dings. Ha Ha. Buy the truck. You will love the service it will give you and the care free feeling when you walk away from it in the parking lot. Hell maybie you won't even lock it.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I have a 2000 Tundra extended cab that fits lots of needs. Holds4/5 when needed(bucket seats) hauls anything, tows some, and even drives well on trips(son to college). And being a Toyota has never been in the shop for anything but scheduled maint.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:04 PM
lowblow
Racer

Pick ups rule.

I never owned one and now I'm on my 3rd in a row. 2 dodges and 1 Ford. Love the Ford, thought the Dodges were less reliable.

I have a decked out 2002 Lariat, (old body style), but I love the look. Took it down the mod slope a little. K&N air filter kit, 3" dual exhaust. Euro tail lights, billet grille, etc.

It is my daily driver and like it more than any SUV. Nice and comfy and extremely functional.

Good luck

Mike
Old 09-10-2004, 01:13 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

One other thing, if you buy a truck, buy a club cab or extra cab, whatever they call it, on the brand you buy. That extra space really comes in handy.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:20 AM
AGC
Racer

Thanks everyone,

A pick-up it is, now which one is a better option

1999 and up GMC/Chevy extended cab 4x4 or a 1999 and up Ford F150 extended cab 4x4. I am looking to spend about $15k.

I definitely will get an extended cab and a 4x4. Another question, what is the difference between a regular bed or a flareside/sportside (Flareside for Ford and Sportside for GM)

Thanks
Argyle
Old 09-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the land barge/gas guzzler route; look for an Audi A4 Avant Quattro. Good cargo carrying ability, 20 MPG minimum, and you can enjoy driving it.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer an SUV and a 5'x8' utility trailer. Most of the time my Home Depot runs aren't big stuff, and fit in the SUV just fine without lowering seats. Everything stays dry and secure when you have to make multiple stops, and you still have room for the kids and dog. For those few occasions when I need to haul larger items like lumber (like recently with 2 hurricanes in 3 weeks and a third on the way), the trailer is easy to hook up, get to the store and back, and put back in the yard.

When we evacuated for hurricane Frances, we put the family in the SUV (Nissan Pathfinder), dog in the back, and towed the trailer with valuables we wanted to keep with us. I drove the p-car with more stuff (computers, etc.) in it. Worked out fine.

-Chris

Quick Reply: OT: An SUV or Pick-up