Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is LSD/ABD when searching for a 993...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 07:36 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How important is LSD/ABD when searching for a 993...

Just curious. When looking for a nice used 993, in comparison to other options, how important is LSD/ABD.

Do any of you think of it as a "must have", or do any of you think of it as "don't want".

Please explain your point of view.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:23 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Talking

I think there was some discussion of this a while back - check archives ?

Anyway, my thoughts:

(1) the traction control element only functions up to about 40mph
(2) the LSD apparently (anyone confirm this) gives up the ghost with track use - supposedly one or two race weekends would finish it off, so it wouldn't last many more DE weekends

I have LSD/ABD - but given (1) and (2) above I wouldn't be that bothered either way - if track performance was important I would consider installing an aftermarket, or Porsche motorsport unit (on my list for the future). And, probably because of (1), I have never felt the system aid me on the street.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:10 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
My 95 993 had LSD. I hated it, noisy clunk at start (listen closly). For my next 993 ('97 model) I avoided these features. From a track standpoint I am glad I did.
BW
Old 08-07-2001, 11:55 AM
George
6th Gear

I considered the LSD a must have and turned down several cars that lacked it. It should, IMHO, be a standard feature on any sports car.

And it certainly hasn't given up the ghost yet despite years of track use! And I don't expect it to.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:48 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 565 Posts
I experienced it working once exiting a turn on a twisty mountain road, with too much power on as the road got unexpectedly slippery. Saved it. For me it was a nice to have when I ordered the car, but now I consider it a must have. Not sure I would go to the trouble to install an aftermarket unit, though.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:40 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From reviewing a few aftermarket report (Panorama, Excellence, etc.) installations of a Quaife differential on older 911s (supposed to noticeably improve track traction/stability), and with my understanding the 993 LSD is a Quaife, it was on my "must" list. And the ABD pulled me out of a mud parking area at Nelson's Ledges.

My '84 911 Turbo-Look had LSD; my '76 911S didn't. There was a world of difference in handling between both cars.

In all reports I have read, inclusion of LSD on a 911 is highly recommended.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:03 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts
Chris wrote:
2) the LSD apparently (anyone confirm this) gives up the ghost with track use - supposedly one or two race weekends would finish it off, so it wouldn't last many more DE weekends
What in the world does this mean?? Wouldn't last more than a DE weekend? Isn't the LSD a mechanical part??
Old 08-07-2001, 10:11 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

The Limited Slip is performed by clutch disks with a material on the disks that reportedly gets ground off with spirited use.

My advice would be to get it if you can.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:32 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts
Thanks Gary. I have LSD and ABD (can you have one without the other?) on my 95 993.

Since this is the only 993 I've ever driven, I don't know what one feels like without it.

But based on what LSD is meant for, I'm very happy I have it My car loves the track, and who knows how much of this is due to LSD, M030 ROW, or it just being a 993

But I'm still confused about the "ghost" analogy..
Old 08-07-2001, 10:50 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Oleg

Ummmm......... "Gives Up The Ghost" roughly means to expire or die - but in the sense of wearing out. I haven't been able to find why it means this (anyone) - but it does, honest just type the phrase into "google"

Anyway, Garey gave the explanation of why it is a wear part - I believe, although my knowledge hear is fromn what I've read, not direct that solutions include fitting more durable clutch (friction) discs, including a Porsche Motorsport part or a Turbo set ..... or ultimately fitting a mechanical / gear differential like a Quaife.

BTW: check out How Stuff Works - Differentials for an excellent explanation of limited slip diffs and other articles on just about how anything works.

Ramble Over
Old 08-07-2001, 10:53 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<STRONG>and with my understanding the 993 LSD is a Quaife, it was on my "must" list. And the ABD pulled me out of a mud parking area at Nelson's Ledges.</STRONG>
Ray, the LSD isn't a quaife-type, but works by friction between plates. BUT, certainly useful at Nelson Ledges .......... isn't the entire place made of mud

Quick Reply: How important is LSD/ABD when searching for a 993...