Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day behind the wheel (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 02:28 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the HiFi speaker option in my 1997 993 coupe and it sounds great to me! I don’t
understand the complaints.

Actually, I miss losing the all the handy door storage space taken up by the optional
speakers. I spend most of my time listening to the music coming from the engine anyway.

Just my point of view!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 11-22-2001, 05:39 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Let's just say that the CD-210 isn't going to cut it.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that this radio is the Porsche branded version of the famous and excellent Becker radios. If so, you might want to check things before you get rid of it. These radios are still being sold and cost (in the UK) around £600, thats roughly $1000!

Another thing I remember having seen on some late 993s (it was on a C2S) that there also was a HiFi option which included a DSP (Digital Sound Processing). You can see if you have this by looking inside the driver's door pocket, you should see a little box with buttons on it, I believe its made by Nokia.

If you are not sure then this is what a Becker radio looks like (they are all pretty similar)

Having said that, if you still want to get rid of it then I am interested!
Old 11-22-2001, 07:40 AM
thorander
6th Gear

Becker Radios,

Interesting topic,

Porsche has for long time been using the Blaupunkt radios in there cars as standard option, however when Blaupunkt did change production from being quality assured to quantity - read putting production in asia, etc. Porsche decided to change to a brand that still produced the goods in Germany, the best they found was Becker and they are sure expensive and has good quality. I like to say that they are the Bang and olufsen among car radios.
about the sound, Hand son your heart - how many people here did buy their Poprsche for the acoustic sensation in the car when listining to radio or ather media such as K7 or CD - It's the engines roar you want. It's a sports car not a concerthall...

Peter

'96 C2 Coupe 18" hollow
'96 BMW 328
'00 baby twin daughters
Old 11-22-2001, 11:14 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I wqould bet that your antenna connection has come unplugged - probably at the windshield. Here is one previous thread, Here is another and Here is a third.

Enjoy the new car and get it out on the track soon.

E. J.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:12 PM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

Yo fellow East Bay Porsche Person!

When I first got my car, there were some
noises that drove me wild.

It turns out that there are more nooks and
crannies than a Thomas' English muffin
under the seats. I removed $1.37 (no
quarters) and the noise went away.

Happy to ride and listen if you want.

tim
Old 11-23-2001, 03:56 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by roger sf:
<STRONG>You may have had a late '96 production which got you the 18" tech wheels, as the 398 code shows two options.
</STRONG>
It does look like my car has the 18" Technology wheels. I looked them over and they have the right part numbers on the (smooth) backsides, and metal valve stems.

That's an unexpected plus, to go with the fact that the car has the (so-called) HiFi option, even though the PO told me several times that it didn't.

Quick Reply: First day behind the wheel (long)