Key fob no workie workie

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key fob no workie workie

Any ideas?

I am the proud of a new (to me) '95 C2 coupe.
Only issue to date is a inop radio (believed to be in need of a code reset) and a non working key fob.

Mine isn't the one where the key and keypad are combined; this is a seperate "fob". The light comes on indicating good batteries, but the doors are not responding.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:56 AM
LeeR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Leland, from Leland. Two Lelands with 993s. How about that! I don't run into that many Lelands, let alone ones who have P cars. Welcome to the 993 world, and join Rennlist.

Sorry I don't know the answers to your questions; just happy to see another Leland.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the remote is broken or it needs to be reprogrammed...or perhaps it does not belong to the car. Unless it is a late model 95, IIRC 993s did not come with remote alarms (can somesome correct me?). Does your other remote work?

You say you just purchased the car - did you have a PPI done? Might be a red flag that the radio needs to be unlocked AND the remote needs to be coded/is broken.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:42 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Have you ever driven your car? i.e. is it just the doors which will not open, or does the engine remain immobilized and the car alarmed?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:48 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

The 95 did not come with the two piece key fob and key so somewhere along the line, the previous owners replaced it, In doing so, they should have removed the programmed chip from the original switchblade body and placed it in the new key fob. It might be the battery is too weak or the program chip does not match the car's immoblizer and lock set. The dealers are supposed to be able to reprogram those chips, but unfortunately, unless its part of a bigger car repair job, some seem unwilling to do that. If so, you may have to buy a whole new switchblade with chip installed (but without key) from PCNA which they can order by car serial number.

Perry
Old 09-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. Nice to meet you Leland. You too are the first "Leland" I have ran across in the P-car world.

The car runs fine and the door locks operate properly by inserting the key into the handle... it's just the fob ain't working.
The dealership told me they thought it just needed to be reprogrammed. As for the radio... the battery was unplugged and the radio lost code. I was just wondering if there was some link between the battery and the inop. door locks.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Leland, I am still confused. If you are driving the car then you must be disabling the immobilizer every time you drive, which means the fob is working. If the doors don't open when you press the fob then perhaps there's a problem with the central locking.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Graham, since it's a '95, it's entirely possible, that Leland doesn't have an immobilizer, I think.
Then again, I'm not sure if any 95s came with remote door opener and no immobilizer.

Leland, is it a Porsche OEM fob, or, perhaps, aftermarket? Do you have a picture?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:07 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

My ex 95 coupe didn't have a remote door opener. I had to do it the old fashioned way........key in the lock and turn.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Hmmmmmm... interesting stuff.
Perhaps a bit of history is in order. I am currently in Colorado Springs, CO. TDY. So, I don't have my dig. camera handy. I can say I've been driving the car successfully for several days now. The key pad in question is flat, rectangular and has "PORSCHE" stenciled on it. There is one round unlabeled button on it. Sure looks brand new... and as I think of it, it's kind of odd... no signs of wear and tear at all.

As for an immobilizer system - I have no idea. I don't have the owners manual yet as it is being overnighted from Arizona.

I haven't even figured out what the "key" button is for on the center console yet. I don't think there is something mechanically wrong with the central locking system as both doors lock or unlock by inserting the key into the handle.

hmmmm... more questions than answers than, huh.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:48 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lelalnd,
Sounds like you have a key fob like I have. I bought a 97 993 targa last year and it came with the factory fob wheich was large and bulky and was an immobilizer fob. The previous owner had upgraded with a new Porsche fob which is a rectangle (about 1 x 2") with rounded corners, about 3/8" thick. Mine works fine, and it must be used in order to bypass the immobilzer system in the car - or it won't start.

If the coding gets messed up for some reason, it won't sync with the car. The manual has a procedure to get them back into sync. Maybe this is part of the problem, but I can't explain why the doors don't open. You can always try to recode the car and fob together to see if this fixes it (see the manual on this). I
-ray
Old 09-08-2004, 08:54 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Sounds like you have the newer remote casing as shown in this DIY: http://p-car.com/diy/key/

You don't have the factory immobiliser - it re-arms itself after the engine is switched off for 90 seconds.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Well, after two hours at the dealership, I think we've finally licked the immobilizer problem.

The car doesn't have an immobilizer... therefore, no auto door locks. Don't know where the key fob came from... The tech finally looked under the seat and there wan't a brain box.

...go figure. My reaction is mixed. I really wanted keyless entry (no key scratches on door) but am relieved there is no immobilizer system to bug out on me.
Thanks to all those who replied.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

some early 993ers have added a keyless entry. check out this thread

max
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Mine has an immobilize/alarm. Somehow the radio and the remote are connected since the radio is part of the alarm system. If you are having problems with the radio that may be the problem. Also, I think this system is called "drive block" and there is a sticker on my windwing window on both driver and passenger side. It also has the Porsche sig. I hope this helps somehow.

Quick Reply: Key fob no workie workie