Sponsored by:

993 verses Lotus Esprit

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 04:05 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 verses Lotus Esprit

I now owned 3 porsches. I drive an 81 sc. In about a year I was thinking of trading up to either a 96 993 or an 97 or 98 Lotus Esprit with the 350 hp v-8 twin turbo. I live in the LA area, where you see porsches on every corner. Has anyone here owned a lotus. Would appreciate everyones comments. I cannot afford a Ferrari 355 and the 308 and the 328 just don't perform.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:26 PM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

Thumbs down

Ron, I have driven a friend's V-8 Esprit, and although it is fast and sexy, one thought comes to mind: Kit car. Other than a very strong engine, I was unimpressed with the car...It's coachwork was not of high quality, it did not feel anywhere as solid as my 993 (or 914 for that matter), nor were the brakes very good. It was not a car I felt I could trust at speed. In addition, the driver's footwell feels like a formula car--tight for my size 13 shoes with difficult pedal action.
On the other hand, it is a babe magnet, not that should be important
Old 08-03-2001, 04:37 PM
mjc
Intermediate

The car is attractive, looks even better with the carbon fiber wing, but after considering an '01 Esprit vs. an M5 vs. a 993, I opt for the latter two over an Esprit. I looked at service and resale value as a criteria.

From a service perspective, it may be difficult to find qualified mechanics. The dealer here has ONE mechanic for all his cars. On the other hand, it's only one person and that person gets to know your car fairly well. Financially, you'd lose a large chuck of the car's value as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Also, as Steve mentioned, the handling characteristics are not the same as the Porsches, not the M5 (the salesman claimed similar handling...).

IMO, in a year or two, you might be able to purchase an early F355B for approximately the same as an Esprit today.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:08 PM
SeanD
Instructor

I had a Speed Yellow Lotus pull up beside me about 2 weeks into owning my 95 993 C2. Guy said nice ride blah blah, we scoped out the area ahead and behind and looked at each other, shrugged and said "What the hell?" Floored it. Neck and neck most of the way. Then I lost him. They are very fast cars past 3rd gear. I think he was not a very skilled driver either, as i kept up with him at first. I had less experience behind the wheel at that time and I'm sure EJ or one of you track guys could have smoked him if the P-car was in the right hands.

We pulled into the Blockbuster after hitting around 70 and backing off. Checked out each others rides.

His complaints on a 99 Lotus:

Ride Quality
Manufacturing Quality
Zero rear visibility and large blind spots in the front.
Seating Position
Only one guy in Orlando to do service that charges $100 an hour. Otherwise it was still under warranty. He told me when the lease was up he was dumping it due to the low resell value and the fact that the service would be too expensive and already things were breaking at only 12K miles (new flywheel, ABS system, intercooler).

He likes:

Cool looking
Fast
Cool looking
0-60 in 4.8sec (is this correct?)

My impression when I sat in it was that of a Corvette convertable. the seating position was too low. I felt like (and was) on the floor. He's right, just like a Corvette with the top up, no rearward visibility.

Nice sounding though. I personally did not care for the interior.

His next investment was a Porsche 996TT.

Ron, the reason you see so many around is:

1. You live in LA
2. They are very good everyday "exotic" drivers. Good visibility. Nice seating position, all the instrumentation and layouts make sence (I have a neutral opinion on the 996 and Boxster layout though..) They hold their value because, well people hang on to them!

You can:

1. Buy a 993 and be happy but blend (which is not such a bad thing as I lived in Huntington Beach and remember the CHP..)

2. Buy a 993 and move to Melbourne Beach, where you will be the 2nd 993 owner in town! You can call me and I will make sure we co-ordinate which days we can drive our 993s and not be 'caught dead' around town in the same cars.. for shame!
Old 08-04-2001, 12:55 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
On the plus side, Lotus cars have as much, and if not more soul than our beloved Porsches. Anyone who disagrees should read a couple of books about the origins of Lotus and the efforts of Colin Chapman, who was an engineering genius.

As for the Espirit, it's design is as old as the 928. And they certainly aren't reliable everyday drivers.

But, if you're James Bond or Sharon Stone, maybe it's the car for you.

--Paul--
Old 08-04-2001, 01:07 AM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

As Paul said:
On the plus side, Lotus cars have as much, and if not more soul than our beloved Porsches. Anyone who disagrees should read a couple of books about the origins of Lotus and the efforts of Colin Chapman, who was an engineering genius
Agreed, however, remembering the old joke about how Chapman designing his cars by shaving ounces off each part, testing it, shaving off some more until it failed, then adding that bit back certainly does not instill confidence going fast over a rough road.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:43 AM
Jeff C
Advanced

I think it really depends on what you are going to use it for. If it is going to be a daily driver or your only car then the porsche should be your choice. If you want a fast, truly exotic sports car as a second car I would get the lotus. Sounds like you have owned a few porsches, why not try something different?
Old 08-04-2001, 04:07 AM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

Ron, If you don't want to see yourself coming and going, check this out:web page
Some day, I'm going to break myself out of the Porsche mold and build one. Imagine what a Z-06 motor would do in it.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:12 AM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

Red face

OOPS!
Try this link:Ultima Sports
Old 08-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

One thing to remember - car is built in England - same country that drinks warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Lotus has never been noted for their build quality or reliability.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:59 PM
993 Zoom
Track Day

Angry

Ron, I have to agree that the Esprit looks like a kit car.
The Lotus dealer here had one in the shop for months because the driver had dropped the car into the ditch and twisted the box frame. They had to wait until the factory in England felt like building a new one for them.
The car may have all the "cachet" in the world, with its long history. But as an automotive writer said in the 70's, the British automakers "distribute parts by stagecoach." Obviously, nothing has changed.
I think the 993 may go down in history as the best and most enduring sports car ever made. Do yourself a favour!
Paul

Quick Reply: 993 verses Lotus Esprit