Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Wonder if Porsche had changed these oil tank drain plugs from ally to steel or opposite? My car is a late 1995 build and has an aluminum oil tank plug, FWIW..
Old 09-11-2004, 04:37 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, the head is about 3/8" - 1/2" across at this point. I don't know if your tool will still work on it but I'd love to try.
Interesting about the aluminum vs steel plug. I was surprised that is is aluminum and as it flakes apart everytime I try to get it off, I'm convinced I'll replace it with a steel one. Maybe use a little antiseize too, since there is no way I'm going through this again. (famous last words).
Old 09-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How tall is the nub that is your drain plug?

As you can see from the attached picture the cam part of the tool that grips the stud is about ½" tall. The bolt I put in the tool in the picture is 13mm diameter.

Also the diameter of the tool is 2". The height is about 2 ½".

In other words make sure you have both enough room to get the tool in position and over the plug and make sure there is enough plug for the cam to grip. I suspect if there is enough to grip this extractor will take it right out or torque the remaining part of plug right off if it’s either too weak or too tight. If that happens you will probably be drilling it out or using one of the other methods suggested.

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:51 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, If I could find my @#$$^% camera recharger I'd post a new photo but basically, the stud is about 3/8" high - the original height. Having said that, all this shredding of the head has produced a bit of a shoulder, so there is 1/4" or a little more that is easy to get at. As part of whatever effort I try next (other than drilling out) I probably need to grind off that shoulder to make the exposed portion effectively longer. I can't see any reason why there would be problem getting the tool into position or using it. Do you think there is sufficient head to give it a try?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think there is sufficient head to give it a try?
I'd say yes.

I use FedEx for shipping so let me know how fast you want it. Of course the faster it gets there the more it costs. I'm in Charleston, SC so I'm not that far to being with. Email me information I'll need to ship it.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:11 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You have probably already tried....but have you "beat/tapped? on the bold bother towards the tank and against the side with a small hammer?

Quick Reply: DIY assist with stripped oil drain plug