Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 04:44 PM
Buck.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PSS-9 First Impressions

Background:
I replaced the Andial sport suspension (Bilstein, non-adjustable, with Eibachs) under my '95 with the PSS-9 system a couple of weeks ago. I kept the RS swaybars. The Andial system was great on the track but I run a lot of autocross and it was too stiff for the uneven lots we run on most of the time.

On the Street:
On the street it’s very compliant without being harsh. I haven’t tried the CD changer but I bet it won’t skip. With the previous set-up it skipped too much to try and use. You can tell the PSS-9 is sprung pretty stiff when you have the dampers set full soft. You can feel the progressive spring rate. The combination of the progressive springs and the soft dampers make for a nice supple ride. Much nicer than even the standard suspension. Some may prefer the dampers be a little more in control.

Autocross:
My initial thoughts was that I’d run the PSS-9 full soft on the street and much firmer for autocross. I showed up at the first autocross with it set on 4 all around. After walking the course I decided it needed to be much softer because most of the course was bumpy/humpy. I set the fronts to full soft (9) and the rears 2 clicks firmer (7). It was very good right off the bat. We only got 3 runs (188 cars showed up) and I never over drove it, which means I never got to the limits. I’m pleased it’s this good so quickly. I’m only going to make one small change next time out. One click firmer in the rear. Still looking for rotation.

Adjusting:
Adjusting is fairly straight forward. The rears can easily be reached once you’re laying on the ground. The fronts are a little more tedious. You need to turn the wheels to full lock which makes the adjusting location easily reachable. The tedious part: There is a Blue cap that is slipped over the ‘quarter’ sized adjusting **** which needs to be removed before adjusting and replaced after adjusting. It comes off pretty easily with a pair of small pliers. The problem comes when you’re trying to put it back on without changing the setting. I trimmed a little off the length of the cap so it would fit between the control arm and bottom of the strut so I could push it straight on. You just have to be very careful not to twist the cap as you’re trying to get it back on.

Very nice upgrade.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:39 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Thanks for the report Buck. It sounds like a great upgrade.
I would be very interested to hear someone describe the difference between the PS9 setup and the H&R Coilovers. Obviously, the H&Rs aren't adjustable, but other than that the two systems sound very similar. They both have progressive springs, and I believe the H&R units use re-valved bilstiens, whereas the PS9 uses fully adjustable bilstiens. They both feature adjustable ride height and adjustable sway bar mounts. How do the spring rates compare? What damping setting on the PS9 is closest to the H&R fixed rate? Are both compression and rebound damping adjustable on the PS9?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-17-2001, 06:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Great post on the PSS 9's, very informative. Steve Weiner was telling me about the PSS 9 set up prior to it being released. He said it was goint to be the trick set up...apparently it is!
Old 11-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Dave:

These systems are similar in layout and basic configuration but there are some significant details that make direct comparisons very hard.

1) H&R uses a single-spring progressive setup
PSS-9 uses a dual spring, progressive setup with an active tender. The rates are VERY different.

2) H&R doesn't release valving information but they will do a custom-valved set in Germany, if you can wait awhile,... PSS-9 uses their 9-way valving that adjusts compression (bump) AND rebound, simultaneaously. Further, we can have the range of 9 clicks revalved to suit, depending upon the application; street or race. The latter would require different springs, quite obviously.

Due to larger difference in spring setups between the 2 damper kits and the differences in valving, one cannot really exactly match the PSS-9's to the as-delivered H&R setup. Looking at the PSS-9 valving curves that we have here from shock dyno testing, it changes with velocity at each setting. They are not all linear; 1 through 9.

IMHO, the PSS-9's are a much nicer, more flexible setup and well worth the small price premium.

Hope this helps, a little.

p.s. Marty,..Marty,....you gotta trust me, Sir,.... This IS the trick setup Have I ever led anyone on these Lists & Boards astray?????
Old 11-18-2001, 08:42 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

p.s. Marty,..Marty,....you gotta trust me, Sir,.... This IS the trick setup Have I ever led anyone on these Lists & Boards astray????? [/QB]
Steve - you have led us all astray - down the path to high performance on the track and street. My wife would definately think you led me astray...
Old 11-18-2001, 02:42 PM
GS Lee
Intermediate

Question

My 97 Cab is in the shop now for installation of PSS-9's and I was wondering if it is possible to use these without the dust boots on the adjusters. Has anyone tried this? What are the manufacturer's recommendations?
Old 11-18-2001, 04:17 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Steve - you have led us all astray - down the path to high performance on the track and street. My wife would definately think you led me astray... </STRONG>
EJ,

My wife would agree with your wife! She reminded me the other day that my first car, a 1985 Honda Civic, cost $6,000 new, which now might get me the PSS-9 suspension and Fikses FM-10s I want to upgrade my car.

How times have changed! Seriously though, I'm very grateful to Steve for all his help over the past year that I've been here. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2001, 06:01 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
EJ,.....Anir:

LOL,....Wow, it sounds like I need to do some damage control with your respective spousal units,..

If you gentlemen and your esteemed ladies see your way to Portland Oregon, I'd be honored to take you all to dinner. We have some really fine establishments here,..........!

I must say that my "Prime Directive" is leading people down this path of "ruin" without financial destruction and fulfilling the time-honored goals to achieving high-performance and bliss whilst driving said Porsche on street & track. To that end, I plead guilty-as-charged and,.....Mission Accomplished,.....

Best to all,
Old 11-20-2001, 12:07 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts
Hi Buck:

You're in Atlanta, right?

Who did the install on your Bilstein kit? How happy are you with the work? (Private e-mail is OK too)

Chris C.
Guards red 98 993

Quick Reply: PSS-9 First Impressions