993 Forum 1995-1998

Part #'s needed please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Part #'s needed please...

I just noticed my passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking. Drivers side is bone dry.

I have the DIY info from Robin, but there is no part # listed and a search turned up nothing either.

Can someone give me the part #'s for each gasket (if different), and the new 5mm Allen Bolts? I figured I might as well do both sides while I'am at it.

Also, some folks have taken off the heat exchanger and/or muffler, and some have not. Any tips either way?

TIA.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:37 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Evan
Also, some folks have taken off the heat exchanger and/or muffler, and some have not. Any tips either way?

TIA.
For heat exchanger removal - I would gather a small assortment of different length wrenches and/or swivel sockets. Other than that you just have to work at some of the nuts that are in tight spaces.

The mufflers are straightforward.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:52 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Lower Valve Cover Gasket- 993 105 135 02 (same on both sides)
Screws (m6 x 30 socket head) - 900 067 238 02 (11 required on the lower valve cover)
Old 08-31-2004, 08:11 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can someone give me the part #'s for each gasket (if different), and the new 5mm Allen Bolts? I figured I might as well do both sides while I'am at it.

TIA.
I did this a year or so ago, didn't have to remove anything except the rubber hose that comes off the heat exchanger, which was a simple matter of two hose clamps. I just got the parts at my local dealer, they can tell you the correct part #'s. You might try Sunset Porsche, they have great prices and are very helpful/knowledgable.
Edit: oops, VB beat me to it w/ actual part #'s!

On a side note, the biggest problem I had with this DIY was that while I was under the car I noticed one of my plug wires had split, so I ended up replacing it. Now that was a PITA!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all !

Troy - I too saw one of my plug wires had a split in the black jacket at the bend. I was hoping to not have to change these but may have to. I suppose I should think about the plugs while I'am in there...Doh !
Old 09-01-2004, 09:33 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Evan,

I sent you a PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Mike,

Emailed you ! Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Troy - I too saw one of my plug wires had a split in the black jacket at the bend. I was hoping to not have to change these but may have to. I suppose I should think about the plugs while I'am in there...Doh !
By the way, the DIY on p-car.com for plug wire change was great. The stubby ratcheting screwdrivers were the only way to go (got mine at Sears). Good luck!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TroyN
By the way, the DIY on p-car.com for plug wire change was great. The stubby ratcheting screwdrivers were the only way to go (got mine at Sears). Good luck!

Troy - Were these stubbies with a socket end or a normal screwdriver end. Do you remember the part # at sears? Just wasn't sure if they were for nuts or screws, guessing sockets for nuts???

How much should I excpect to pay for a new wire set? Any good sources?

Thanks.

Last edited by Evan; 09-03-2004 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Troy - Were these stubbies with a socket end or a normal screwdriver end. Do you remember the part # at sears? Just wasn't sure if they were for nuts or screws, guessing sockets for nuts???

How much should I excpect to pay for a new wire set? Any good sources? I checked Kingsborne.com where Andy said they were $267.00, but they quoted me $587.00 ????? Then he mentioned ViperBob, but didn't know how much VB wanted, or what brand he would have for sale.
Hey Evan, the stubbies are used for driving misc. screw heads, specifically phillips in this case. There are several brackets that hold the wires together and hold them to the outside of the fan shroud. These are very difficult to get to because of the tight confines; take a look at the space between your intake manifold and the shroud and you can see the routing of the wires and a few small rectangular brackets. I don't recall a part number, but it was a set of 3: one with no offset, one with an upward-angled offset and one with a downward-angled offset. They were pretty inexpensive too, under $10 I think.

You should probably try to get your hands/arms back there to make sure it's something you should even try. Lucky for me in this case I am lean! One other thing that was not covered in the DIY was that you probably have to remove a few other parts on the driver's side, I think the heater blower. Other than that it's just a good amount of frustration as you try to get enough leverage and not drop things as you work on those brackets. It was a revelation in the DIY too that you can unscrew the plug wire ends!

Since I only replaced one wire, I just bought through my local dealer. Unfortunately I don't recall the price, or I could at least extrapolate the cost for a full set of 12. The pricing I have seen runs closer to $400-500, so < $300 sounds like a great deal. I'm sure one of the Rennlist sponsors could get you a set, but failing that you might try Sunset Porsche, which sells parts for 15% over their cost. It's a longer wait sometimes, usually 2 weeks, but could be worth it. I've bought suspension parts from them at a significant savings over the dealer.

Anyway, hope that was it, this is my second time writing this response - the first time my IE crashed when I was almost done! Ugh. Oh, and let us know what pricing you end up getting and where.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Troy - Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Quick Reply: Part #'s needed please...