Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shop to install short shift kit/replace jack points in Bay Area???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post shop to install short shift kit/replace jack points in Bay Area???

Anybody know of a shop that can install a short shift kit for a TT in the Bay Area??

Specifically, I'd like to go to a shop that has done this before. The "torching/dimpling" mentioned in previous posts has me a bit concerned. This probably isn't a too common request to mechanics from the general porsche community.

Also, if there is a shop that can replace the jack points in the bottom of my car, please refer me to them! They were seriously messed up when the PO had the car shipped to him.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 08-09-2002, 04:09 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Jeff 993TT:
<strong>Anybody know of a shop that can install a short shift kit for a TT in the Bay Area??

Specifically, I'd like to go to a shop that has done this before. The "torching/dimpling" mentioned in previous posts has me a bit concerned. This probably isn't a too common request to mechanics from the general porsche community.

Also, if there is a shop that can replace the jack points in the bottom of my car, please refer me to them! They were seriously messed up when the PO had the car shipped to him.

Thanks!

Jeff</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Jeff. I'm a big fan of Jerry Woods Enterprise (Campbell, Ca). Tel (408) 369-9607. Ask for Rich.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

You've got mail
Old 08-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Thanks Pin.. I got your email.

Have you done your's yet? Last I remember, you had the part but didn't install it yet.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

No, not yet Jeff. Do you want to go together and have them installed at the same time?
Old 08-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Jeff, Pin
where did you guys get the short shift kits? expensive? worth it?
Old 08-09-2002, 04:55 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Phil,

I bought mine from Schatz Motorsport:

<a href="http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/Merchant2/index.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=78650&Product_Code=150+SKX&Category_Code =354" target="_blank">http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/Merchant2/index.mv?Scree n=PROD&Store_Code=78650&Product_Code=150+SKX&Category_Code=354</a>

I bought it for $99. A lot of people like it but since I haven't installed mine yet, I can't really tell you if it's worth it or not.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by Suwipin:
<strong>No, not yet Jeff. Do you want to go together and have them installed at the same time? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, that would be great... I'll order the part today and lets schedule a time in a few weeks to have it installed together.

Can you call the installer and find out when he is availalbe? Maybe since he is doing ( at least ) 2 installs, we can meet him on the weekend?

Thanks..

JEff
Old 08-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I think that modification is only required on 4wd cars, so that would mean the c4s and the TT. For the C2s, it might just be a bolt in, similar to your 530, but I am not 100% positive.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2002, 03:47 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who do you guys use for service around SF Bay Area? I'm not all that enthralled by the dealers.

Eric
Old 08-10-2002, 05:03 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I feel your pain with the dealers also.

I've tried Modderman Porsche in Mountain View for simple maintaince, but can't comment on their major work. I felt pretty good about their competence about my car. Although I don't think that they specialize in 993's.

There's also another shop in Mountain View called Heyer Automotive. I haven't heard anything bad about him either.

There's DM motors in Palo Alto. Oleg really likes these guys, but I've had mixed experiences with them. They do all sorts of german cars. I spoke to Dieter there and he seemed pretty knowledgeable.

And then there's CT automotive in Campbell. I haven't been there personally, but they were very highly recommended by many people on the board and many people that I have talked to in pca.

But I've found that doing my own work is much more rewarding than having somebody else do it ( within reason ). For simple things ( oil changes, trans oil changes, brake pads, brake bleeding, aux oil cooler, resitor changes, etc ), I'd prefer to do it myself. It gives me a better understanding of the enginneering of the car and it's fun. A great sense of accomplishment when it's done. If you need help or want to watch sometime, let me know.

There's a pretty active group of DIY'ers in the bay area.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2002, 10:36 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Jeff, make sure you also get the solid u joint to replace the factory rubber one. This is the joint that is in front of the trans. shift rod. The short shift kit is the RS set up. The u joint gives shifting a positive feel instead of a mushy feel. I also had to shorten the new shifter lever about an inch. The RS shifter design raises the shifter higher/closer to the steering wheel. It is to facilitate quicker reach from steering wheel to shifter when racing.

4 wheel drives need trans tunnel cover dimpling.

George

Quick Reply: shop to install short shift kit/replace jack points in Bay Area???