993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake fluid on stock pads question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 06:28 AM
Ajit Taunque
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake fluid on stock pads question

IS it okay and/or beneficial to use ATE racing type brake fluid with standard pads?

I need to replace pads and will get stock replacements - because i can't do much DIY and have read that race pads, pagids etc are not the best for the road. I do around 5 track days a year so want to use an upgraded fluid - i wonder if there is any benefit or harm with the standard pads.

Ajit.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Benefit of using better brake fluid (i.e. ATE racing type) is it's higher boiling point. and using OEM bads with that doesn't do any harm.

But remember to change/flush the fluids more frequently, these racing type fluids get water into them faster.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:30 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I think the factory fill is ATE gold, same stuff as "Stupid Blue". So you won't heart anything by running it with stock pads.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:53 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ajit

The "racing" in the ATE Super Blue name is a marketing tool. As stated, blue and the "street" ATE Type 200 (gold color) are the same fluid - except for the blue dye. Either one is perfectly fine for street use & will provide better performance than the stuff on the mass merchandiser's shelves.

AFAIK, neither ATE product degrades any faster than "non-race" fluids and, in fact, since the wet boiling pt is relatively high, they will perform better when old than many new fluids. There is no need to change ATE (blue or gold) more often than every 2 years for street use which is the most you should go w/any approved fluid.

Many related threads in the archives - try a search.

FWIW, an interesting (IMO) <a href="http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Brake%20Fluid%20Comparison.htm" target="_blank">Brake Fluid Comparison </a>

Quick Reply: Brake fluid on stock pads question