993 Forum 1995-1998

Tendency to stall after pouring rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 01:44 PM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tendency to stall after pouring rain

After parking outside for a period of half a day while it was pouring, my car suddenly wanted to stall and misfire. Also while idle it develop some "pop" sound from the exhaust. What could be the cause, moisture getting into some electrical component? distributor etc?

Thanks in advance for help
Old 08-28-2004, 02:45 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you might have a cracked distributor cap . Take some water in a spray bottle with an atomizer set to fine. Start your car and squirt af few quick puffs of mist at your distributor caps. If it starts sparking you've isolated your problem. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-28-2004, 05:25 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winsome
After parking outside for a period of half a day while it was pouring, my car suddenly wanted to stall and misfire. Also while idle it develop some "pop" sound from the exhaust.could be the cause, moisture getting into some electrical component? distributor etc?

Thanks in advance for help
Has the wiring harness been replaced? When I had an uncovered parking spot, my 94 cab did the same thing until the harness was replaced under the recall (Jebsens in HK did the work). That was the second time the harness was replaced, PO did it the first time in 1997.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:32 AM
winsome
Instructor

Angry

Thanks guy. The car just came back from a top end overhaul. Probably something not tightened enough? and I found that one of the screw on the lid of relay box on left side of engine is not tighten. I guess still quite a few small things here and there need to follow up. I hope no permanant damage will resulted?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:43 PM
lowblow
Racer

Winsome-

My C4S did this a couple of weeks ago. 58K on the clock. My independant scanned it which showed misfires in a number of cylinders.

Turns out my plug wires are toast, (insulation is deteriorated). A damn set of these things is about $500

mike

Quick Reply: Tendency to stall after pouring rain