Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What is the market for worn seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the market for worn seats?

I have patial leather tan seats in my 1995. I am replacing them with supple leather 8X power seats from a 97 Turbo, that have 4K miles on them. The main reason for the expense was the wear on my driver's seat. Although it feels great, works fine, it has seen better days. I often see other folks cars, and I always think that thier seats a in much better shape......

Having said that, what is the market for my seats? Being partial leather...they are the bottom of the barrel....and they are worn more than what I have seen to be the usual.....can I sell these seats?

I had a thought that to sell them, I may have to store them until the median seat out there looks worse than mine, or most other seats start to break down mechanically. If I have to, I would do this, but would rather sell today to offset the cost of the new seats - any ideas?

The good news is that I have my hex sockets ready, and will do the install this weekend. A piece of cake since i inadvertantly pulled both seats while doing the keyless entry install on my 95 a couple of weeks ago (uh...the central locking isn't under the drivers seat.....uh...)

Thanks for any comments..
Old 08-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know how much they'd be worth, but you might try one of those leather dyes (surflex?). From what I understand, the actual leather wears very little, but the dye gets rubbed off and produces the worn look. There are lots of posts in the archives. The re-dye would help you get more money for your seats.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where to buy Surflex?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Where to buy Surflex?
www.carcareonline.com

Larry is a hard-core PCA guy and is an excellent resource for detailing information. I have been treating my seats with Soffener (sp?) and am very pleased with the results.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:52 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kerry, I know what you mean about looking at other people's seats and wondering why their's look better. I think for me it has been the fact that since I first got the car it is used as my weekend "tennis transportation", therefor getting a lot of abuse from sweat and body oils. The combo of this and the hot Texas sun has made my drivers seat look much older than the passenger and my car mileage is in the low 40's. I too would be curious as to the value of "pre-owned" seats.

Quick Reply: What is the market for worn seats?