Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke came out of the muffler tips. What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 08:58 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Smoke came out of the muffler tips. What does this mean?

My wife told me she saw smoke coming out of my muffer tips when i took off (rather fast).

Thx, HN
Old 11-14-2001, 09:05 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hn:
<STRONG>My wife told me she saw smoke coming out of my muffer tips when i took off (rather fast).

Thx, HN</STRONG>
Depends on the color and time when it puffs. If it's just a little black smoke between shifts that's just the computer richening up a bit and puffing a little black smoke, no biggie. If it's white or blue smoke it can be a potentially big problem, anyhoo get back to us on what color and exactly when it happens (i.e. get in your car when your wife is following you again and maybe coordinate with cellphone while you're doing different driving to see when exactly it puffs).

good luck,

amir '83 SC
Old 11-14-2001, 11:21 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Hn,

It's possible your wife saw nothing but water vapor.

I was at a 993 ('95) owning friend's house this past weekend ... We had our cars idling in the driveway, and I was commenting that the amount of water vapor coming out of my exhaust seemed excessive. Right about then, his car started putting vapor out both pipes--just as much as my car.

We were able to verify the "smoke" was in fact water vapor using my trusty water vapor meter. Hold my eye glasses up the tailpipe, they fogged, pulled them away, they cleared. No messy residue .
Old 11-15-2001, 01:42 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thx guys,

Well, sound like either black or white is ok. It was night time so i don't think my wife could tell it it's blue. Anyway, i thought the white smoke only come out after a cold start. Mine happen after driving about 5 miles when the gauge show normal temp.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:09 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Hn,

If you had been driving awhile, and the engine was warmed up, I wouldn't suspect the smoke was water vapor.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Smoke came out of the muffler tips. What does this mean?