993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 997 Carrera S today - Woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004 | 04:09 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Hey Skip...Congrats on the new car~!!! I saw your exact same optioned car (and color) at a dealer in Boston today...that is a great looking car, man. Give us drving impression updates and as always, a continual stream of pics.

Enjoy~!!!
Old 08-27-2004 | 04:48 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

All, thanks for the further compliments.

It's raining today and the car is currently in the office parking lot getting wet, plus I've already gotten the carpet wet and dirty. Hey, it is a car and meant to be driven, right?

I still haven't pushed the car much, but it does a great job in the rain, feeling quite planted in the corners, on on/off ramps, etc. It has that feeling of vault-like security that my 993 C4S had, and while I didn't own a 996 street car, my Boxster doesn't quite have that same feel. Someone once said that the 993's felt like they were machined out of a block of metal, and that's a good way to describe how stiff the chassis is.

Likes: The short-throw shifter, the very easy to use clutch, the seats, the engine's low-end torque, the overall quality, the seats, the seats, the seats! The seats are the most comfortable I've ever experienced in a Porsche, and seem to match the best in the BMWs, Audis, etc. They can also be set quite low, to the point where I could probably wear a big hat while driving, and this car should fit most people fairly well.

Dislikes: When showing the car to some co-workers I opened the rear deck and some water ran right into the airbox opening. Perhaps not a big deal, but certainly a bit disconcerting. I also tried to plug my radar detector into the 12 volt socket in the passenger footwell, but it doesn't appear to work, so the cord is stretched to the cigarette lighter in the center ashtray. Hopefully this can be switched on somehow or is an easy fix.

The weather stinks, so hopefully there will be some sun over the weekend for pictures. I may take a few in the rain just for kicks if I can find some good spot to do so.

I'll probably jack the car up and take the wheels off over the weekend to take some detailed pictures of the suspension, etc. I know many of you are geeks like me who like to see that sort of thing.
Old 08-27-2004 | 05:34 PM
Agro1
Banned

Hell yeah - suspension, underside pics !! The net is already flooded with exterior pics, give us some of it's guts...Oh yeah, rain would be a great time to go out and use a "Skidpad"
Old 08-27-2004 | 05:52 PM
nman413
Drifting

Eric, just saw it. My turbos are dead so I'm going to have to do something about them.
Old 08-27-2004 | 05:54 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip,
Congratulations! It's a beauty. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 08-27-2004 | 08:16 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip, nothing quite like getting a new car is there?

Seems you are the only Rennlist member with no forum to hang out in. OTOH, you'd be by yourself so you may as well be here where we can admire your beautiful 997!

Bill
Old 08-27-2004 | 10:07 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by icerbofh
Eric, just saw it. My turbos are dead so I'm going to have to do something about them.

Jauder,

Major bummmer!

What happened to your turbos? When did they blow? So are you going to Tracquest this weekend?

CP
Old 08-27-2004 | 10:30 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Skip, really nice. Some of us R'listers are having a look tomorrow locally. Maybe I'll show up to the "fun run" with one - NOT!

I am interested in the ride height, recent pics made it look way SUV. The first mod is to drop that baby down to ground level.

Don't have to tell you to enjoy, you already are. Can't wait to see just how wide that *** is. Hope I still want to get back into my car after.

Also, I am a little shocked that you could buy one, I figured most of the early arrivals were already spoken for. How much over did you pay?

[QUOTE=ingo777]Whooaaa!!! Congrats!!! its 291.000 US$ in Singapore so :QUOTE]

Mayby I'll buy one here, ship it there, you sell it and we'll come to terms on the profit.
Old 08-27-2004 | 10:52 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations! She's a beauty.

You're the envy of the neighborhood.

chuck
Old 08-28-2004 | 12:55 AM
993RS
Race Car

Judging from the reaction on this thread, looks like Porsche got it right this time. Don't remember similar comments when the first 996s were being bought...
Old 08-28-2004 | 01:50 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous car!! It looks great in black. Congratulations!!!
Old 08-28-2004 | 02:16 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Skip,
Excellent choice! Big thumbs up & congrats!
Old 08-28-2004 | 03:40 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Thumbs up

sweetness. that grin skip... is indeed priceless. good on ya!
btw: what is the 'break-in' period anyway? maybe to speed up that process... you could leave now... & be just on time to join us on the cali 'funrun' heh hee

here's to dry weather tomorrow & a nice twisty road. thanks for sharing the pics...... more?
Old 08-28-2004 | 02:46 PM
SMF
Rennlist Member

Just 10 years and I will have same pictures...
Old 08-28-2004 | 03:35 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Eric 993TT
Jauder - the car is still at Bob's. I think he's going to keep it.
Bob doesn't want to keep it. Bob is tired of pushing it.. Bob is getting it out of his garage early next week as the turbos should be in Monday

BTW - Congrats Skip on the new car...

Last edited by viperbob; 08-28-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a 997 Carrera S today - Woohoo!