Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:09 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question A/C Compressor DIY

Did a search but didn't find anything. Anyone out there replaced their compressor on their own ?? Any tricks ? Tried Robin's P-Car.com also but to no avail.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just did a compressor, expansion valve and receiver/dryer on my 92 Mercedes 300E that was previously converted to R 134a. Porsche and MB use mostly Denso compressors. If you get a remanufacture compressor I would try to get one that was made in Japan by Denso, they are essentially brand new. Quite a few of the remans are just made by other companies and not Denso. Denso has a website and they have excellent tech help available.

You need a few special tools like gauges and a vacuum pump as well as the know how to use them which you can acquire by reading.

Is your system still pressurized?
Why are you replacing your compressor?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:04 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Ron, my system is still pressurized, and cooling well, but my compressor ( or so I think ) is starting to howl and is really dragging the engine down when it engages. Its odd but it only happens after it has been running for a while ( meaning that the engine is at full operating temperature ). Anyway, I believe that the compressor is on its way out. I was hoping it was just a plug and play situation but it sounds like I would lose pressurization and have to evacuate the entire system ( beyond my scope).
Old 08-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post your question about your compressor on this website. They will tell you want the problem is.

http://www.ackits.com/forum/index.cfm

If you do a new compressor you definitely want to put in a new receiver/dryer and I would do a new expansion valve as well. It really is a plug and play. I ended up doing the 300E because the more I read it just did not seem that hard and it really wasn't. But then I did not have any complicated problems with actuators in the dash nor problems with the climate control computer or whatever it's called.

One thing I can say for sure is do not open your system, that is depressurize it until you are ready to put the new part in and vacuum it. The reason is when the system is open moisture enters and can cause a chemical reaction with the residue in the system that results in the formation of caustic substances like acid. That can really mess up the evaporator and or the condenser. In fact one of the reasons people have to replace evaporators is due to the system having moisture in it. Even if it is pressurized when it looses pressure a certain amount of moisture enters the system and can cause problems.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor DIY